ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀʀɴɪɴɢ

Jack's POV:

I sprawled out on a roof, laying on the soft snow like a pillow, and my staff was next to me. Ha, that staff. It made me who I am. I exhaled, my breath white in the cold, and stared up at the moon. The big, bright ball in the sky that chased the darkness away from me.

I rested my hand on my wooden staff gently. It was just nice to know I certainly had it, if you know what I mean. I've always had that fear of me holding it then it just disappearing. That staff is everything to me and I couldn't image Jack Frost without it.

I momentarily lay my hand on my stomach, leaving my staff from my grasp. Then, in a flash, it was gone. I sprung to my feet, my heart pounding, and frantically checked the roof for my staff. I briefly saw dark tendrils slink off the roof and the tip of my staff drop off the side.

"Aah!" I dove forward, but the tendrils were out of my reach. I slid off the roof after the tendrils, landing on the cold alleyway floor, and took off chasing the dark wisps. I could see my staff, its curved end bobbing up and down as the shadows carried it away.

I snatched at my staff, but it remained ahead of me. It floated down into a dark alleyway, where no moonlight could be seen. I was desperate for my staff, the very thing that gave me power, and it was literally slipping away from me.

Shadows towered above me, covering my face in darkness. My staff rose above me.

"Wind!" I ordered, and I rose up as well, reaching to grab it. It was yanked from my grip by the tendrils. I was so concentrated on my precious staff that I didn't notice the dark wisps curling around my ankles before it was too late.

The tendrils tightened around my bare ankles and I was jerked down from the air. I landed on the hard concrete floor beneath me, my ankle slamming down on it and twisting to the side with a sickly SNAP!

I let out a cry of pain as I clutched it. It was sticking out in a disturbing way. I felt nauseous. I had broken my foot. This wasn't good.

The pain burned me, spikes of pain shooting up my ankle and spreading across my leg. My staff clattered at my side. With my free hand, I drag it closer to me, releasing a relieved sigh. I had my most important possession back, but I was still confused on how I lost it. Maybe the wind was playing tricks with me? No, I saw those dark wisps. Was it maybe... no, it couldn't have been him.

I used my staff to hoist myself up, carefully making sure I didn't put any weight on my broken foot. I slowly hopped out of the alley, taking one fearful glance back at the darkness. I craved for the moon's light, its reassurance, its safety. As I hopped into the moon's light, I faintly heard a voice, a cold, evil voice, that made me tense up with fear.

"You are not safe, Jack Frost. Not now, not ever."

That voice sent a shiver down my spine. I gave a cry of fear and tried to limp away from the alleyway. I placed my staff on a slippery piece of ground and slipped, my staff sliding out of my reach. Pain spring up my leg, burning like fire. I clawed at the stone floor, dragging myself towards my staff.

"Aw, how cute," Pitch mocked. "Now listen Jack, you're going to stay away from the Guardians. There will be consequences if you ignore this."

In pure panic, I forced myself up, despite the pain, and hobbled away from that alley with my staff. It was him. Pitch Black. The Nightmare King. And I doubted that Pitch handed out empty threats.

Normally, I liked seeing people's reactions when I got on their bad sides, but Pitch's bad side was not a place I wanted to visit. The boogieman didn't have to worry about me disobeying him. I don't want any dangerous consequences and I want nothing to do with the Guardians.