05 - Testosterone Overkill

A/N: Thank you so much readers for your thoughtful comments. Next update out Sunday (23).

...

Due to the somewhat complex terminology of hockey, I have included some definitions that some readers may not already know. If I miss any and you feel lost or are just curious, feel free to message me!

1: Alexander Ovechkin: Regarded as one of the greatest hockey players in the history of the NHL, Alexander Ovechkin, or Ovi, is Captain of the Washington Capitals.

...

My mouth was hanging open. I looked over my shoulder to make sure that Simon wasn't listening and turned back to my father. He was drying off his hands, acting like he hadn't practically just slapped me in the face.

"What about her!" I hissed. He crossed his arms in front of his chest. I heard my mom slowly coming back downstairs with the bags.

"What she made you do—it made you angry, I get that. You're angry, but it's in the past. You have a new team now, new friends. The only reason your mother made you quit was because she was scared for you. You two spend all this time ignoring each other...you're leaving soon. Don't leave her like this," he told me. His eyes are kind, but unwavering. He's telling me that I have no choice but to fix things with my mom.

She walked into the kitchen with a smile on her face, her eyes twinkling with excitement. I didn't want to admit it, but I wanted to go to the gazebo with her again. I wanted to talk with my mom like girls my age are supposed to talk to their mom. 

I would give anything to be that family that we were before my mom made me quit hockey. She spent every day either in the garden or working with the horses in the stables. My dad was home more because he got a job working in town. My parents didn't miss a single game of mine. I thought that this move, this new house, it would be a fresh start for us.

But I cannot look my mom in the eyes and not hate her for what she put me through. She made me give up the one thing that I had clung onto when I lost all of my friends from back home. So this break, this 'breather', isn't going to be enough. I know that I'm leaving for school soon, and to be completely honest, I can't get away fast enough.

~~~

"I have to go home eventually," Simon teased as I started another game. I rolled my eyes and checked the clock. I had to get going soon to get to my hockey game in time for warm up anyway. I nodded and ran upstairs to change. I was grabbing my hockey bag from the garage when I heard the front door close.

"Hey man. What're you doin here?" I heard Jared's voice. I had left Simon in the kitchen to make us some food for the road. I prayed that Jared didn't notice that Simon looked like he hadn't showered yet. Oh, who am I kidding? Guys don't notice that crap.

But as I brought my hockey bag into the front porch, Jared was eying me suspiciously. I met his gaze easily, acting completely innocent. It was frustrating that I had to hide part of my friendship with Simon from Jared.

"Hey babe," he smiled, kissing my cheek. I smiled at him and saw the envelope that he was holding in his hands. He followed my gaze and shrugged. "It's my letter from Boston University. I wanted to open it with you. I didn't know Simon was here..." he trailed off, not even trying to hide his annoyance. Simon looked uncomfortable all of a sudden and shifted back and forth on his feet.

"Sorry Jerr, but we were just leaving. Why don't you come over after your game and we can open it then?" I suggested. Simon eyed me, giving me a look that said your parents aren't home-should he really be here?