Names

I rip my wrist away from him and stumble back a few paces. I stare at him for a long second, trying to comprehend what he said. My breathing is heavy and it feels as if my throat is closing up. I wish with all my heart that this was some messed up nightmare but... it just feels so real; his hands that held my shoulders, the cuts that once adorned my knees and palms, the cool marble beneath my feet and the silk sheet covering my body. It is all too real.

This is real, no doubt about it. It's real.

Damn it.

I look up at him once again. His eyes are studying me. They travel from the tips of my toes to the top of my head. He's devouring me with his eyes. I wonder if he could see all my weaknesses if he tried? I hold the sheet as close to my body as possible. Could he see through this sheet?

I tear my eyes away from him and swivel my head from side to side. Trying to scope out exactly where I am as quickly as I can. To the left of me there are large double doors, there wooden and look a little more rustic compared to the modern look of the room. There are two torches sitting on either side of the door, each holding a handful of flame within them. I could try that door but there is no way to tell if it's locked or not and I'm guessing I only have one shot at running from him.

To my right is a long dimly lit brick hallway; there is a torch every ten paces or so. Huh. I just now realized that this entire place is only lit by torches or candles. How strange. Although I don't know if anything should really surprise me anymore. The man in front of me proves that it shouldn't.

I know that the staircase is right behind me but as far as I know there isn't a chance of exit. Maybe an open window, but I can't even be sure if I'm on the first floor right now. Who knows, I could currently be on the 3rd floor of this monstrous house and I don't plan on falling out of any windows today.

I think I've made my choice. I look back in the mysterious man's direction and find that he's moved closer to me. I hesitantly take a step back.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, sweetheart." He warned. "How about you co-" before he can finish his sentence, I dart down the hallway to my right. My bare feet slap hard against the ground as I run further and further down. My breathing is becoming heavier and I can hear my heart pounding in my ears. The pounding is so loud that I can't tell if he is close behind me or not.

The hallway splits two ways and I twist to my right, not knowing where I'm going but I know I can't stop. I make a left then a right and another right. My lungs are burning. I guess skipping gym in high school wasn't the best idea. When I see the hallway coming to a dead end, I start to lose speed but then notice a door waiting to be opened by my greedy hands. I slam into it and instantly go for the knob; holding the sheet with my left and turning the knob with my right.

Its locked. "No" I say softly to myself. "Open, ugh-open damn it!" I start to yell at the door. I stop fiddling with the knob when I feel a presence behind me.

I suck in a deep breath and slowly turn around to face my captor; if only it was him. In front me stands something I never thought I would see while I was conscious. The dark shadowy figure stands across from me, its eyes at the same level as my own. They are glowing a bright yellow and seem to be swirling with a darkness I feel more then see. This is the demon that haunts me during my sleep. Dread feels my body as I realize that I can no longer move. I am frozen in place. I try to move my fingers, my toes, my lips, even my damn eyelids resist to close. The shadows limbs come up to touch and prod my body causing an inferno to light where ever it grazes. With each touch I'm on fire. The pain is excruciating and I can't even scream it away. I can feel my body giving out on me. This must be how I die.