Innocence

Gilah's room is something out of a fairytale. In the middle of the room is a king-sized Victorian bed with red and gold curtains hanging around it. There's beautiful vintage furniture surrounding the room making it look as if it was decorated in the 1700's. Her room seems to be the only one that matches the outside halls. There's nothing modern in here whatsoever, other than me. Even Gilah is dressed to fit the part. She's wearing a long, light purple dress with gold designs cascading down the skirt and front. The corset around her waist is tied tight and the strings hang loosely down her back along with her strawberry blonde hair.

"I cannot believe he talked to you in that fashion. No one deserves that sort of belittlement." Gilah states with both sympathy towards me and discontent for her brother.

We've been sitting on her white and gold sofa for the last twenty minutes discussing my latest encounters with Atlas. As soon as Gilah yanked me into her room she started on about how we needed to have some good old-fashioned girl talk; meaning talking about Atlas and how he's treated me. So far, she isn't very pleased with what I've been telling her.

"I'm so sorry, Avi. I thought with me and Lori talking to him it would have helped."

"Oh, no no Gilah it did. I just came from talking with him actually. He honestly hasn't been that bad today: he's answered my questions, hasn't used his silly pet names, he even healed my hand after I burnt it on Ira's door." Ugh, I can't believe I'm standing up for the baboon. "That's actually why I came up to see you. Atlas told me how you and Lorelei talked to him and I just wanted to come up and... thank you."

Gilah stares at me for a few seconds before a big smile takes over her face. She lunges herself towards me and wraps her arms around me in a tight bear hug. Swaying us back and forth as she talks to me.

"Oh, I'm so happy!" She exclaims in my ear then pulls back. "I don't want you to be sad here, Avi. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if you were. I'm glad that you're finally getting comfortable here."

The smile that I hadn't realized I had slowly disappeared from my face. I had almost forgot that I was stuck here for 'forever'. Almost. Their all nice but I'm still the hostage here. I still want to go home... even if I don't have much of a caring family to go back to. I'll never get go to college or get a job. I'll never be able to get married or have kids. A family of my own that I know would love me unconditionally. I'll never have that because I'm here and they won't ever let me leave.

I feel the tears prick from behind my eyes as I look away from Gilah. I hope she doesn't notice but of course she does.

"Oh honey. I'm sorry, I didn't- I didn't mean to-."

Before she can finish her apology the door to her bedroom swings open and crashes against the wall. Halting our conversation, as well as the tears from my eyes. Me and Gilah both jump in our seats, clutching our chests trying to stop the thundering with in them.

We turn to find a very flustered Oleander standing in the doorway. His raven hair is spiked up in all directions and his all black clothes are covered in some kind of red mushy substance. For a split second I think that it's blood but after closer inspection I realize it must be food. There are chunks of corn and other things in it.

"Uh, hey sis." He rasps out, his breathing is so rapid you'd think he just ran a marathon. "I was wondering if you could come help me with something real fast?" He says almost politely, which is strange.

"Yes... what's going on? Did something happen?" She questions as she stands to her feet.

"Well, you see it's a funny story..."

Gilah crosses her arms over her chest, raising her eyebrow at her little brother. "What did you do, Olly?"

"I may have- just a little bit- stollenaggiesdollandnowsheshavingatantrum." He speeds out.