Stars

We went to dinner just like the night before. We entered the room to which Atlas and most of his siblings were sitting at the dining table although Ira and Lorelei were missing. I had asked Gilah where they were but she just replied with a simple "Ira's still cooling off" then went back to eating her food.

There wasn't much talking. Even Aggie -who had somehow found her way to her seat before us- was quiet as she ate and played with her dolls. I've always hated eating in silence. On the nights when my parents wouldn't come home for dinner -which was every night- I would play music so that it wouldn't be completely silent. Here though I don't even have that. I left my phone in the "mortal realm" and that was my only access to music. I mean not even small talk was made during dinner; it was just so... awkward.

Atlas kept giving me side glances and staring at me when I wasn't looking. It kind of freaked me out. At one point I looked down and his hand was sitting right next to mine. I felt a type of energy flowing through his finger tips to my own and I had a serious urge to reach out and hold it, but I refrained. I think he felt it too. His hand kept clenching and unclenching, getting closer and closer to mine each time he did.

The tension was palpable in the air. We almost touched... I pulled away.

After dinner I quickly made my exit and somehow found my way back to my room. I wish I could say that as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was fast asleep but that would not be the case.

Insomnia hit me hard tonight. I've been tossing and turning for hours trying to find a comfy place to lay. My mind keeps wandering and anytime I shut my eyes I see lights flickering behind them; making me think that the lights have been turned on but every time I open my eyes they're still off. I'm restless and my mind is playing crude tricks on me to keep me awake. Grand.

"I can't take this anymore." I mumble to myself as I get up from the bed.

I wrap myself in my light pink blanket that sits at the end of my bed and I head towards the door. I'm only wearing pajama shorts and a t-shirt so bringing a blanket is probably a good idea.

I go for the knob half expecting it to be locked but I am pleasantly surprised when it twists and squeaks open. The hall is dim from the torches that cascade the walls as I walk down it. The familiar feeling of dust feeling my lungs comes to my chest but I ignore it and keep walking. It might have been a good idea to put on shoes before I ventured out but my gray wool socks will have to do.

I find myself making my way back to what I have begun to believe is my favorite room. The pool, and not because I love to swim. It's because of the open ceiling. From inside I can make out millions of stars and uncharted constellations. I've always been fascinated by the universe. In fact, that's what I wanted to do after I graduated from high school. I wanted to be an astronomer. To study the stars and learn about space. Study comets, asteroids, planets, the Milky Way, black holes, super nova's and even space travel.

Pretty much anything that had to do with the universe and stars, I'm your girl. Point to any constellation in the sky and I'll name it. Ask me a question about black holes, I'll suck you into a lecture on gravitational acceleration.

Get it? Suck you in. Haha.

I make it to the pool room and sit down on one on the semi comfy lawn chairs surrounding the water. I lay down on it and look up at the unfamiliar constellations. It's weird. I can't decide which is more interesting; the stars I'm used to or the stars that are waiting to be discovered. I think I might choose the latter. There's so many in the sky. It seems that there is no light pollution here so nothing is preventing them from shining. Every single star is bright and beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen so many in my life.