Chapter Two

Reaching home, Dakota and Daniel walked into their small lodge, she built by her own hands.

The moment Dakota was fully in the house she spun around on her heels catching Daniel off guard. Dakota didn't appreciate the pack in her personal business, so she always put on a performance. Now, they were alone. "You could have killed her." Each word formed loud and deeper. At this point, she wanted to kill him. Dakota wolf wanted to kill him.

Daniel waved her frustration off, as if it was some misunderstanding. "She's alive. I'm sure Reese loved the nurturing you provided."

Dakota frowned, dubious to his attitude. She wasn't sure what point Daniel was trying to make. He gave Dakota a furtive look she couldn't ignore. "What is your problem with Reese? We grew up together. That's all. We're close." Dakota moved toward Daniel. "She's protective over me as I am of her."

Laughing like there was something really funny, Daniel walked into the kitchen pulling out a pack of steak from the fridge.

"So now you're not going to answer me?" Dakota threw her arms up exaggeratedly. She loathed this man. Several years wasted on him and now she was truly beginning to lose it.

Unwrapping the pack of meat, Daniel huffed shrugging his shoulders, as if making up his mind. He scratched the side of his head, pursing his lips before speaking. "Am I not your mate?"

'If only I could change that.'

She thought of something else to say. "Of course," Dakota answered, dryly.

"Tonight, when Reese and I fought, you should have came by my side." Daniel growled his last few words out. Dakota had embarrassed him by not comforting his needs. To Daniel, it was Dakota's duty, as his mate to take his side.

Dakota brought her hands to her waist, contorting her face into a long exhausted frown. As much as she hated it, he was right. The edgy glare Dakota gave him, soften a little. Just a little. She canted her head. He was right, but Dakota wouldn't apologize for choosing Reese. It would always be Reese. Dakota wondered is she ever love Daniel. He was a good man once. At least in her eyes. Dakota mentally dismissed those thoughts. He was easy to say yes to. There was never any deep love and dire need werewolves felt when becoming mated. Even in the beginning of their mating bond; Dakota never missed Daniel when he left. She never grieved his absence or craved his touch. When they were intimate, Dakota never felt that explosion she heard other Weres talk about. But, she did think of him as a friend once. That counted for something. "Things use to be much simpler. We all got along. Hunted and slept as a pack together. When did it get complicated?" She really wanted to understand. Her open question was really meant for her.

Daniel didn't hesitate with his next words. "When you choose me."

Perplexed and mystified, Dakota walked into the kitchen, staring at the meat sizzle for a moment. Time passed and she finally spoke, calmly. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Don't tell me you're that clueless?" He chuckled and then continued. "Everyone can see. Hell ... even your father." Daniel seemed amused by her obvious ignorance. He let his words hang in the air a few seconds too long. One of his many ways to piss Dakota off. She hated waiting too long for a response. "I'm shocked he doesn't send her off on long errands like he does me."

"See. What. Daniel?" Dakota asked slowly, pausing between every word. She was over all his games. The pretending to be happy and in love with Daniel was thinning out.

"That she's in love with you." Daniel flipped his steak over, shrugging his shoulders as if he said, 'there's no more steak in the fridge.' "And I do mean Reese."

Dakota stifled a gasp. That's not true.

No. Reese was her best friend. Reese would have told her long ago. Dakota turned her back to Daniel, grimacing. She thought about Reese never taking interest in mating with anyone or allowing them to answer her call. But Reese talked about love as if she was experiencing it.

Daniel turned off the stove and she could hear him devouring his steak. He had no respect for her and showed it.

She pointed out to herself that he'd offered her nothing. No surprise there. Dakota faced Daniel again watching him finish his meal. He acted as if their conversation was over. Even if it was true; her best friend in love with her, Daniel could at least show compassion. He wasn't capable of that. Dakota's wolf paced as if trying to fight through. Agitation set in. "I need to shift. I'll be back later." Numb, she walked out.

Daniel flung his hand at her dismissive, as if he wouldn't miss her. And he wouldn't.

She didn't give him the pleasure of caring. She wouldn't miss him either.

Thinking, played a big part in Dakota's life lately. Thinking of how to falsify the excitement of Daniels presence. Thinking of how to approach her father on the matter. Of if she should approach Sage on sleeping with Daniel. Then again, that would require her to care.

But now Reese was on her mind. The idea of her hating Daniel because it wasn't her laying beside Dakota every night. Reese told her of Daniels affairs. Reese was her best friend and was just as angry. Reese couldn't have hated him because of wanting her.

Walking through the woods, not paying attention to where she was headed, Dakota ended back at her fathers home. Dakota knew what she had to do. She needed to talk to Reese. Reese would tell her the truth.

Dakota contemplated what she would say, but wasn't allowed the opportunity, with distant cries distracting her from personal concerns.

Dakota went into a full run toward her fathers home. Cries of rage and agony came closer. Roars of her pack shifting, involuntarily.

She halted for a half a second feeling the pack. Dakota's wolf moaned through her throat and tears seeped out. She knew what was wrong.

One of her pack members ... was dead.