Chapter Eight - Recoveries

Spike's POV

My brother, Flareon. Nope. I refused to believe he was dead. I placed my ear up to his chest, not knowing a thing about saving lives, just to see if I could hear a heartbeat. But all I felt was my hearing aid brushing against his furry chest. He fell backwards, somehow, but I couldn't see an exit wound.

I yelled out, tearing my ears down my face, screaming. Leafeon didn't respond, he just kept sitting on the floor, head in his paws, in shock. Blood poured from Leafeon's face, and I thought about checking to see if he was okay, but then decided against it.

I noticed that Umbreon rushed off somewhere, but I didn't say anything about it. Espeon ran over, caressing my face, and she kept telling me it was all okay, but the sound of my heart beating drowned her words out. I was confused. I don't usually hear my heartbeat unless it's real quiet. Even then, sometimes I don't. I closed my eyes and placed my paw on Flareon's chest, right where his heart should be, and grasped the dog tags around my neck in my other paw. Espeon backed away slowly.

I chanted an old Russian lullaby that mother used to sing to us when we couldn't sleep. Then I sung a song that Espeon taught me, "How to Save a Life" by The Fray. I mumbled a random string of words.

Except it wasn't random, not at all.

"Longing, Rusted, Seventeen, Daybreak, Furnace, Nine, Benign, Homecoming, One, Freight Car."

The first English words I learnt. In that order. I whispered those magical words into Flare's left ear and closed my eyes. When I opened them again, I got the shock of my life.

I could hear two heartbeats. Sparks flew around as I tried to comprehend what I was feeling. My ears set on fire, but it didn't hurt me. Strange. Flareon's legs were sparkling, small flames and charges flew out of his hips. I felt a paw grab mine. Leafeon. He held my paw and touched Flareon's chest warmly, which was rising slowly but steadily.

The three of us stayed in that position for ages, even though I really wanted to scratch my bum, but something told me that it wasn't the time for that.

Green, Red and Yellow sparkles flew around us, covering us in a circle of colour. We continued to sit and stay sitting for about twenty minutes, before Flare's head started to lift up. Tears streamed down my face, and Leafeon kissed Flareon like there was no tomorrow. I pretended to shield my eyes but I couldn't help but be happy for them. The colours died down but we all stayed alive, laughing and hugging like we did always.

Flareon laughed heartily, hugging me tightly. I squealed at being squished my Flareon's furry arms, but I was happy to see the flame back in his eyes. Leafeon giggled at my squeals, and then we all laughed at Leafeon's giggles.

Then Leafeon looked me in the eyes. "Do you love me, brother?"

"Forever and always."

———————

Mist's POV

Picking up my cellphone, I read my messages. One from Umbreon, two from Jolteon, one from Leafeon, and seven from Espeon. I sighed as I read them.

Spikeball-
hi vaporeon, are you allright? sylveon said u nearly died but i'm not sure if she was telling the truth. ah well. luv ya sis, xx

come home soon mate we're missing you!!

BookEater-
Vaporeon, it's me, Umbreon. Are you doing good? Let me know if you need anything x

Tree-
He-y Vaporeon! Missing you back here. Get well soon! xx

MamaGem-
Vaporeon are you alright?

I don't know why I'm saying this but... I was really scared when you get hurt.

Okay so it's none of my business but are you seeing anyone? No reason why, just out of interest

Please tell me you're okay. I'll be crushed if you aren't.

I really have to tell you something.

You won't care though. Why do I even try?

Ok. Hang in there, I'm coming to the hospital. x

I shook my head at the string of texts from Espeon. We aren't even friends. She's hotheaded, snappy and manipulative. But maybe I like that. No, what am I thinking. She doesn't like me either. I gotta escape this mindset. But can I? I haven't really thought about attraction to Espeon before, but maybe, just maybe.... there could be a spark there. Now that I think about it, I think I may have developed a crush on Espeon, but I don't wanna jinx anything.

I lay in bed, Glaceon was going downstairs to ask if I could be discharged yet, and Sylveon had gone down to the canteen to see if they sold hotdogs in bagels. I'm pretty sure they didn't. But she had to check, as always. It's ridiculous, really. Some kind of weird sex thing, or whatever.

Just at that moment, Espeon strode in, grinning when she saw me. She rushed over to my side, bombarding me with questions.

"Ohmygoshwhathappenedvaporeoniwassoworriedaboutyouwhydidntyouanswermycallspleasetellmethisislikethetimeyouatethatpotpourriandhadtospendaweekoffschoolandomgiwassoscaredandhonestlyitsbecauseiloveyou." She paused to take a breath, and looked shocked at what she had just said.

"I was ELEVEN and it was because I thought it was bombay mix, okay? shut up about- wait. You love me? Really?"

"No-I just-" She faltered a little "Yes, I love you. I cant even deny it because you're here now and I don't care if you don't feel the same way but honestly I can't imagine a future without you. You just needed to know. I'm sorry-"

She tried to run off but I launched a book at the back of her head so she yelped in pain and smirked as she turned around.

"Espeon... I think I love you too. Promise you'll never leave me." I replied, showing emotion for once.

"Of course. So does this mean..." She trailed off

"Yes, I'll be your girlfriend."

"Really?"

"Forever and always."

————————

A/N

Okay so this chapter is shorter than most but I'll make them longer from now on but I just wanted to get this in here thank you @FennecFox14 for the great ideas and suggestions!

~Thor xx