Chapter 5: Flames

Disclaimer: More scenes from K: Side: Red. This helps put into perspective Tatara's role in HOMRA. I do not own K Project or any of the mangas/spin off stories.

October 18, 2009

From Tatara's perspective:

Tatara was charmed by the color of Mikoto's flame.

He knows that he's the stopper. It's his role as the only one who has almost no combat ability within HOMRA. However, sometimes, there were moments when he thought it would be bliss to just stand and watch that back go forth, without holding it back.

Tatara smiled bitterly for a bit. Then he looked down at Anna who was being carried in Hana's arms. Her eyes were wide and she was looking around at the fiery floor. The light of the flames danced on her white skin. Her large eyes reflected that fiery shine and sparkled. She seemed to be fascinated by the flow of power from Mikoto.

Anna let out a small sigh, "It's pretty."

"Yeah." Tatara responded.

"...but." Even Anna noticed that Mikoto was losing control of his flames.

"I know." Tatara smiled. Hana watched their exchange and placed Anna gently on her feet.

"Stay close." Tatara gave a look to Hana. Hana nodded and looked down at Anna.

Hana held her hand open, and Anna looked up at Tatara, then Hana. Then, she reached out her hand and grasped Hana's much larger one.

Hana and Anna followed Tatara as he approached Mikoto from behind.

It was so hot that if a defenseless civilian had been here, they would have died with their blood boiling within an instant, but Tatara walked right through it. Right as the waves of heat were about to touch him, they lost their danger and became a soft warm breeze. As he approached Mikoto's back, he directed his consciousness towards the small ember within himself. His sanctum was small, and it was weak. But it was a flame he had received from Mikoto.

If the rest of HOMRA held bonfires within their bodies, then the flame held by Tatara was but the light of a candle. Tatara wouldn't be able to become drunk on power.

Even though Tatara wouldn't be able to control Mikoto's flame, he was able to reach him.

"King." Tatara called out as he placed a hand on the center of Mikoto's back.

At the same time, the waves of heat that flowed from Mikoto's body quieted, and then they vanished. Mikoto easily held back the dangerous flame that seemed like it would destroy them all.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Hana's POV

I watched in wonder as Tatara was able to calm Mikoto's flames. Just from that glimpse, I realized that Mikoto was in more danger than I thought if I didn't do something about it soon. But how would I go about healing his sanctum? I know that I'm not affected by the flames and intense heat, but I don't want to do more harm than good.

Tatara is able to get Mikoto to reel back his power and place a lid on it. But the power from Dresden isn't something you can just place in a container and not worry about the consequences. The pressure will shatter the container from the inside out. And in this situation, Mikoto's body is the container.

This sort of power.

I wished that the Silver King and Gold King had left it lying dormant all those years ago, never to be discovered by humanity.

I guess that's the situation in my world too. In fact, maybe this world has it right. The Sword of Damocles. A testament to the idea that those with power need to be held in check or else they're likely to abuse it. A constant sword hanging over the wielder's head, an imminent and ever-present peril faced by those in positions of power.