Chapter 4: Algedonic

"It reached into my mind and made ugly look beautiful; it tricked my senses into recognizing it as a necessity

"It reached into my mind and made ugly look beautiful; it tricked my senses into recognizing it as a necessity. I kept on taking more and more of it until there was none left, and as the bottle dwindled, so did I. When I finally realized I had been poisoning myself, the deed was already fulfilled. I was poisoned."

Careful was probably the word you heard most from your mother. Despite you more than likely being one of the most cautious teenagers on Earth, she still told you over and over again, careful. As if you listening wasn't enough for her; and by listening, your ears not only picked up the vibrations of her vocal chords, but you brought that word with you everywhere, and painted everything you did with it. You never did consider this way of life to be put at stake, though. You've never had any risks laid out like blooming flowers in the spring sun in front of you before.

~

Jungkook was sitting behind you with restless limbs while you filled out a data chart in your notebook. He was lightly prodding at the fabric over your shoulder blades with his fingers, making little 'bam bam' sound effects with each poke. If you hadn't had years of experience in the field of ignorance prior to this, the boy probably already would have been out cold on the hard floor with a bruise that wouldn't be forgotten anytime soon. As soon as you wrote down the last digit, upon the last column, upon the last chart, you swiftly shifted your body around to face him.

"What?" You hissed.

His doe eyes widened in shock, probably from your tone, but quickly relaxed. "I'm bored." He simply said. Said as if he weren't expecting a hushed lecture from you about how work never runs out, and there's always something to do. You rolled your eyes, and faced forward once again. This was the period right before lunch, and Jungkook wasn't the only restless one within these last few minutes of class. He recently moved to this spot behind you, identical to your seating in first period, because he just had to make the arrangement suggestion.

You packed up your notebook, and zipped your bag, the bell chiming through the overhead speakers that you dreaded so much as you did so. You stood, and maneuvered your way through the desks, to the front of the class. Jungkook rushed to walk by your side. "Hey," He looked down at you. "I forgot to ask this earlier, but, why do you hate me?" You suddenly stopped, and faced him in the hall. "I don't hate you, but, I already said, we're not friends, Jungkook." He tilted his head. "Aw c'mon, you're still pulling this BS?"

You scrunched up the skin between your eyebrows in confusion. He distributed his weight to one side of his body. "Aren't we past the acquaintance stage? I've already been to your house a couple times, and I spend a lot of time around you..." You crinkled your nose at his response. "We barely know anything about each other-" He huffed. "Y/N, we're friends now, no objections. Who cares if we don't know each other that well yet?" You raised your brow, but furrowed it at the smirk suddenly up taking his face.