Chapter 14 - The Crater: Part 8

"So what previous knowledge can avail us?" asked Sla.

The nine were gazing round them at the unfathomable pit and at themselves.

"Should this be a fixed reality," the young Savier continued, "there'd be a way out similar to the one we took coming in."

"Interesting," observed Sakna-Sa. "You differentiate between the two access points, suggesting they are not of the same nature. Carry on."

Menior was nodding, as if weighing the notion in his mind.

Sla continued. "Our way in was dictated by the fixed parameters of the kind of reality beyond the crater, so would it be wrong to assume that perhaps the way out is dictated by those of the fluid reality within it?"

"Impeccable logic," noted Sakna-Sa. "Any trajectory is under the laws governing the spacetime fragment wherefrom that trajectory is taken. Good. How can we use that to our advantage?"

Sla pondered briefly, then said, "If we are able to shift our way of thinking – and therefore, of operating – to suit the fluidity of this place, perhaps we can ignite a trajectory out by merely thinking about it."

"Wield spacetime," said Gre. "That sounds paramount."

"But are we the only ones generating thought mass in this fluid reality?" inquired Arít. "Mé sensed a presence that perhaps governs this place. We clearly did not think of the rope system disappearing in order to cast the ropes out."

"True," retorted Sakna-Sa, "but we did not focus upon their existence either."

"By not focusing on their presence, we have somehow generated their absence, you imply, Master," said Sla.

Sakna-Sa watched her in silence for a moment, then she continued. "We have not disappeared – except for Mé – because we were each, at all times, both present and aware of our own presence within this crater and near one another. By the same reasoning, the ground may have remained stable merely because, by stepping upon it, we have enabled it to remain active, or activated, perhaps."

Menior Lem pondered aloud, "Let us explore the ramifications of the theory you've suggested. If Mé is gone and we are not, what new factors does this bring to this fluid reality? Is it, perchance, an instrument we could use? Let us explore the data. Mé's sensitivity enabled her to distinguish a mild presence of extraordinary proportions."

Nods all around.

"Later, she saw what we inferred was a city of light further down in the midst of this place," he continued.

"Then she was gone," completed Sakna-Sa. "So what determined her to leave alone, and how was she able to do it?"

"The how is key," said Arít. "Maybe she sensed her way from Point A, our shared whereabouts, to Point B, wherever she currently is."

"She might have operated at feeling level," Sla thought aloud.

"Never underestimate the power of thought and its interconnectedness with feelings," added Gre. "Maybe that's the way out."

"I have another idea," said the young female Savier, and her Master gave her undivided attention. "A trajectory has two points – where it starts and where it ends. The in-between can even be curved space, or a mix of different-nature realities, true?"

"True," said Sakna-Sa softly.

"Mé had a clear trajectory," Sla continued. "Both beginning and end. She knew where she was going, and a way was formed around the desire to get there."

"Her observation of the city triggered her desire to reach it," pondered Menior, "and consequently the forming of a pathway to get there. Interesting. By that reasoning, must we see the world outside this crater in order to get out?"

"That would imply the necessity of there being a rift in the fluidity of this reality," observed Sakna-Sa. "Something already there, in sight, which can become the other end of our trajectory out." A quick glance around. "There is no such thing."

"But can we make one?" inquired Arít.

"Mé has not produced the city," retorted Gre. "It has revealed itself to her. Maybe," he turned towards Uiio, "being a Mái-Ruan, you can also sense something of the kind – perhaps even the city itself."

Uiio shook her head mildly. "Not all Mái-Ruans are sensitive on that level. Mé has had previous training and experiences that have enhanced her sensitivity."

"So you sense nothing at all?" inquired Sakna-Sa.

"I feel..." She stopped. "I honestly feel trapped."

"A blockage." Gre was waiting for her reply.

A silent confirmation.

"Nevertheless, the ability is there," he tried.

She confirmed.

"That's one possibility, then," he encouraged. Then turning to look at his companions, "In absence of a way out point, of a rift in the fluidity of this spacetime, we at least have another Mái-Ruan, who, with the further possibilities of her inherent sensitivity, may... produce a way out."

There was no echo, but his words were sinking in and were repeated by each of his team members in their own minds, as if to grasp the fullness of their meaning.

"You suggest that a way out must necessarily be enabled by more than thought alone," verified Sla.

Gre nodded. 

She turned to Uiio. "What is sensitivity, more exactly?"

The nine companions are stretching their minds to reach their Gateway. How do you deal with new types of challenges? I'm more like a Savier, trying to think my way through, minus the calmness.