Chapter 17: Searching for Lera

Zadek had been transported into an unfamiliar time/space-band.

A new reality. Can they see me? he asked Omiran.

Yes, came the answer.

Blue hills surrounded him. Soft, bluish mist. Tall trees – oaks, pines, their foliage dark blue. Soft grass. A village to the side. Eight-legged horses. A stream nearby. Sounds – chatter.

Auxiliary power circuits started feeding his neural net. Heightened senses. Population, 310. 184, male. Non-identifiable structural organization markers.

Since he'd become an 05 and had thus moved into a superior state of clock-brain prevalence, his abilities had been improved.

Villagers' expected reaction to visitors, mostly neutral. Reaction to seeing an Omirion, unclear in absence of a precedent.

He started walking along a pathway. The village remained to the left, in a shallow valley surrounded by hills. A carnivorous, 6-feet-tall bird resembling a pelican flew above the tree line, making a sonorous, high-pitched sound. Others responded nearby.

Wildlife species, 7,000. Analysis area covered, 72,000 square miles. Surprise in his eyes.

Five males approached, spears in hands.

Bow low, transmitted Omiran. Say nothing.

Battle cries were produced. Some sort of ritual, thought Zadek.

Eyes on the ground. They're establishing your level of familiarity.

That doesn't make sense.

To you, perhaps.

The battle cries went on. In circles, the men approached.

They'll challenge you to battle. Be non-responsive.

Alright.

Still producing their cries, they drew nearer and poked him with the ends of their spears, repetitively and in a circle, each taking the lead in their own time. At times, a blade – short and razor-sharp – was zooming fleetingly by his arms.

Villagers drew near at the calls of the men. Children, women, men, all joined together in the calls.

Bow lower.

Zadek complied.

Remember your clock origins.

Why?

They want to know, Omiran explained.

How can they?

You'd be surprised.

The battle cries were dying out.

Recall your childhood in an essence.

Once more, Zadek complied.

Go into that of adulthood.

His trust in Omiran's guidance was complete.

Express your feelings for this land.

Zadek focused deeply on his appreciation.

No more battle cries. A presence before him. Male. He could only see the man's blue-shaded, barefoot legs.

"Ena-ena," the man before him said in a deep voice.

Bow lower in response.

Zadek complied.