Chapter 27: The Waterfall Man

Zadek was getting acquainted with the ways of the tribe and the more that he perceived, the more he admired them. He understood that they had one God, and that many Beings interceded between realms and assisted the created on their evolutionary path. He also sensed their deep regard for M'alala, the Planet-Being they existed as part of, and relished sensing they perceived Time as something eternal, beyond grasp, yet created as well. They, too, knew an aspect of Omiran.

But now, as he was musing about the past few days, Omiran told him, Behold – you've found a place among brothers you did not know you had. Now do you wish to carry on and journey forward, or do you wish to linger still?

The choice-ribbon his elder self had mentioned. The opportunity to find Lera, curious as he was as to who that might be, confronted with another curiosity, deeper still: that of moving forward.

How do I choose? he asked inside a thought. How do I know what's right?

The answer came. He who seeks shall find, haven't you figured that one yet? And who's to say, but you yourself, what stirs your heart? One moment, you might go this way and choose to stop. In other instances, you carry on. You have the gift of choice.

Indeed, I do, thought Zadek. And still I ask, how do I choose what's best?

What longing's in your heart, and why? Be level-headed, and you shall find.

Zadek pondered. Had his elder self not mentioned Lera, he would not have given this much thought before replying a clear yes to moving further and discovering more of this wonderful Planet.

Two pathways lay before him, and each led separate ways.

"I choose to move forward," he said.

Are you sure? Omiran asked.

I cannot seek answers in the dark, Zadek replied. I need to know more of the truth with every chance I've got.

Very well, son. Hee'Taa will come.

Zadek nodded. Thank you, Omiran.

It wasn't long before the tribe leader came in sight: tall, blue of skin, his dark mane gathered in several knots along his back, his gaze part firm and part serene. Looking at Zadek.

He knows, he thought.

No answer came from Omiran.

"A-ya," Hee'Taa called, beckoning with a gesture, inviting Zadek to follow him as he walked towards a path that led deeper still into Seremna. "Há'li," he said as Zadek reached him, and covered his eyes with the palm of his hand.

Zadek remembered what Hee'Taa had taught him about their union with life, how it flows through them from sky into earth and from earth into sky.

"Har," Zadek said.

Hee'Taa smiled – was he, again, amused of how he could never pronounce it right?

"Har," said Hee'Taa, gently hitting his chest with his fist, and producing a sound so deep as if his whole being was pronouncing it.

Zadek nodded.

Next Hee'Taa pointed out the trail at their feet. He had become serious again and drew his elbows up, rolling his shoulders, then indicated the trail again.

Zadek could perceive a circle in the gestures, something connecting the trail with the motion of Hee'Taa's arms. He pondered. He saw Hee'Taa gesture it again and felt what he meant: something within him must connect to the road.