Chapter 20: A Node of Dimensions

Mé entered Command Bay. The Captain stood up.

"Mé," he said. "I'm so glad you've made it. Where is the rest of the team?"

"Thank you, Captain," she replied and bowed. "They are still in the crater – Íma is its name and it is an interdimensional platform and a learning experience at the same time."

"You have much to tell me," said the Captain, and they sat down.

Mé provided a detailed report of their descent, of Gre's initiative to greet the crater through emotion rather than words, of the City of Depths Unseen and her ways parting from the team's.

Soo Beran nodded, reflecting on what she'd said. "I understand," he told her. "We are glad to have you back. I congratulate you on your achievement."

"Thank you, sir."

He was searching his mind. After a moment, he asked, "Would governor Mala agree to a meeting?"

"He did not say," Mé answered. "They do not seem to abide by protocols similar to ours, and"–she looked at the Captain–"there's a chance that the way to reach him is not through appointment."

Once more, the Captain gave a brief nod. "Undergo the test myself."

She assented. "It is just a thought."

"Appreciated. Tell me more about Íma."

Mé gathered her thoughts. "Governor Mala spoke of the interconnectedness of all that is a part of M'alala with M'alala herself and with the galaxy and with the entire universe as if each galaxy were a unitary organism within a universe-level being, and so on, into multiverse potentiality. A planet within such structure would function as an Atom, and everything within the Atom is hence tightly interconnected to all life everywhere.

"Íma," she carried on, "has been portrayed as a gateway of becoming."

"Becoming what?"

"I come with answers as well as questions," she replied.

"What have you become?"

She thought about it. "More connected with who I used to be, but grounded in the present nonetheless. More light-hearted..."

"A subtle change."

She nodded. "An inner change, yes."

"Would you venture into Íma again?"

The question half-startled Mé. "Yes," she said.

Surprise, but not hesitation, the Captain thought. "Did all of your companions share your positive expectations about the outcome of the mission?"

She pondered. "Gre seemed trustful and at ease. Meknáni as well. Sakna-Sa was quiet, but she did not seem bothered. Sla kept an open mind. Uiio did, too. Arít was calm. So was Menior. I don't recall if Maýla-i even spoke. Umbe seemed terrified. Why do you ask, sir?"

"I'm trying to ascertain the elements that got you in and out, but not them as well. There's a clear difference in morale, but we shall know more when the whole team is back." Their eyes met, the Captain's grey-blue and Mé's black. "Did governor Mala mention the number of dimension-doors within Íma, or how to access them?"

"No, sir. I did not ask, I apologize." Mé was beginning to realize how overwhelmed she'd been. "He said we should trust them."

"To find their way?" the Captain asked.

She nodded.

"An indefinite number of dimension-doors within a sentient, interconnected Planet-Being and a recommendation to steadfastness," he mused aloud, then turned to her. "Did his tone of voice have inflections that would hint at potential danger for whosoever ventures into Íma?"