Chapter 26: Pathways Many

To know oneself, one must dare look.

Captain Soo Beran had invited Mé to join him into Íma.

"All ready, Captain," said Toras.

"Thank you," he replied and turned to his companion. She looked eager, but calm, awaiting by his side. "Ready?"

She inclined her head in response, and with a gesture of his arm, was invited to go before him.

Once they were seated, they manned their posts and took off through the energy field on Umbar's side. Soon they were flying at top speed atop Seremna and when they reached the crater, they landed by its side.

The other shuttle, which had carried Mé and her companions earlier, still vacant and waiting for the other nine to emerge, was in sight nearby.

Setting up the rope system and connecting it to their belts, the Captain and Mé advanced towards the edge of those unreadable depths. A black massiveness spread before them and into it they went in slow, steady rappel.

Once out of sight, they disappeared from Sky Chart radars as well.

They rappelled silently for a long while, ease in their minds and chests. Soo Beran remembered Mé telling him of Gre's idea of greeting the crater non-verbally, so he did. Finding his peace of mind and peace of heart, he eased into the flow of Íma's sentience, soon to discover that he had no fear, that as long as peace of heart and peace of mind were merging in his being, there was a pervading sense of freedom despite the unknown that surrounded them.

Ground reached their feet.

"Welcome, Soo Beran," came a feminine voice, "and welcome back, dear Mé."

"M'alala!" Mé exclaimed.

M'alala smiled. "Your heart provides the answers," she replied. "Very well." Then turning to Beran, "Captain, your guide awaits."

Soo Beran bowed to her. "It is an honour to meet you. Rest assured that the Umbarian presence here is ever at your service and shall receive your guidance gladly."

M'alala's smile was luminous. "Your heart is trustful and your mind at ease. Your eagerness is steady and controlled. You shall find your doorway most useful, Soo."

"I shall be unaccompanied by Mé," he inferred from what she'd said.

M'alala nodded. "Two journeys are not the same. Íma has a new destination for Mé now, and yours awaits as well."

A new destination, thought Mé.

"Very well," said the Captain. "Please lead me to my guide."

A passageway appeared: a stairway going down; and around the platform they were on, there appeared a stone fence and clouds serene beyond it on a faint blue sky, all as if made of soft mists.

"I take my leave," said he and bowed in greeting, then headed to the platform's edge and took the rail-less, white marble steps.

On he descended through mists soft and unobtrusive, until at last there came before him an emerald glimmer not far ahead. He did not stop, but went on deeper, soon to arrive before a massive, emerald oak tree rising from a white half-sphere. Before it stood a man, tall and noble looking, clad in silver garments made of silk; there was a turban on his head with a crystal jewel above his forehead, and he wore a knee-long top garment with an upright, close-fitted collar, and silk trousers underneath it; beige shoes were on his feet.

"Welcome, Soo Beran," said the man. "I am Aanas, Lord of the fifth-dimensional city of Ébor, servant of M'alala and of the heights above."

"I am at your service," the Captain said and bowed.