ch. 5

tenerife sea // ed sheeran

Austin and I shuffled around the kitchen, carefully not bumping into each other, or our dog who was just as clumsy as Austin, as we cooked a grand meal for the eight people that sat in the living room. We figured after a year of living in a new house, in a new city, that everyone should come visit.

It's not like we don't have room- we have six bedrooms for some unknown reason. I didn't plan on living with Austin before we got married, if we ever do. Even in L.A., after college, I found myself a small apartment in Santa Monica. I wanted the experience of living on my own for a bit, even if Austin was there three nights a week and I was at his house for two.

"Knock knock," my mom smiled, walking into the kitchen. "Sure you don't need any help?"

"No, mom, we got it," I smiled at her as I began mixing greens for the salad. "You're a guest now. You don't have to help. But you can get Mo out of the kitchen."

"Sounds crazy," she said, walking over to me and kissing me on top of my head, ignoring the fact I asked her to do something. "My baby girl, you've somehow grown up in the blink of an eye."

"Mom," I groaned and she just laughed. "I'm cooking."

"Okay, I'll leave you alone," She smiled before walking out. I shook my head and started cutting up vegetables for the salad. "Come on, Mochi! Good girl!"

"Your mom has really opened up," Austin stated after she exited the kitchen. "Not only to everyone around her, but to herself as well."

"Yeah," I nodded, washing the cucumber off in the beautiful farm sink we had- the one asset that was a must-have for me. "I'm not really sure what happened."

"I'm not sure either but it was a drastic change," He said, cutting up the chicken he had cooked on the stove. "I still don't know if she likes me though."

"Austin," I laughed at him. "We've been together for almost five years, she likes you by now."

"Five years, huh?" He nudged me. "That's a long time."

"Not really," I shrugged.

"Not to you?" He asked, putting the finishing touches on everything. I shook my head.

"Nope," I told him, tossing the salad. "Not when I'm planning on forever."

He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me to him. He planted kisses all over my face and then finally on my lips. I smiled as I kissed him back, wondering how I got so lucky.

"I'm ready to eeeeeeat!" Randy yelled as she walked into the kitchen. "Oh sorry, I ruined a moment."

"No, no," I pulled away from Austin, laughing. "We have plenty of those moments."

"Good, when's the food gonna be done?" She asked, sitting down at the island. Same old Randy.

"It's done," I smiled. "I just have to get everyone's drinks and get plates out."