ch. 16

can't help falling in love // tøp cover

I looked at Quinten.

But it wasn't him. He was just as confused. But walking down the aisle briskly was none other than Austin's dad.

"What are you doing here?" Austin asked as Jamie got to the end of the aisle, standing in front of us both. "And how did you know where to come?"

"Savannah told me," he said, pointing towards her. She gave us both an apologetic look but Austin was visibly pissed. How dare her.

"I can't believe you'd have the audacity to ruin the day most important to me," He shook his head as he gritted his teeth. "You are so lucky we're in front of this many people."

Everyone sat still even though I'm sure everyone could hear this altercation.

"Son, I didn't come here to ruin it," he said, pulling a box out of his pocket and handing it to Austin. "I came to try to make it better."

"What is this?" Austin asked, holding the box between his fingers. He opened it and I watched as his eyes filled with water that threatened to spill. "Mom's ring."

"You saved up for a year to buy it for her. I've had it all this time," He shook his head. "I just thought that you'd want Olivia to have it instead of a ring that has no sentiment."

"Thank you, Jamie," Austin said, wiping his tears. "But, uh, I paid five hundred dollars for this ring.. I can't give it to my wife. She deserves so much more."

"Austin," I spoke up. He turned to me and I reached my hand up to caress his face. "If you want me to have it, I can't even begin to tell you how much it would mean to me to wear it every single day."

"Really, Liv?" He asked me, tears streaming down his face. I nodded to him as I also shed some tears, not nearly as bad as him, though.

"I know I've been such a bad father to you," Jamie shook his head. "But I couldn't let you get married without some part of your mom here."

"Thank you," Austin said again. At this point, none of us minded that the wedding was at a halt. I was just glad my boy was happy.

"Olivia," Jamie looked at me. "Thank you for putting a smile on that face again."

I smiled at him as he retreated down the aisle. I looked at Austin and nodded towards him, telling him to do what's right.

"Dad," He spoke up and Jamie turned around, shocked. "Stay. Please."

He nodded with a smile and tears in his eyes as he continued walking back down the aisle.

"Okay, so let's get on with it, shall we?" The priest asked and everyone laughed. I turned back towards Austin and smiled at him. God, how in love I am. A smile was plastered on his face underneath the tears. They were tears of relief almost.

"When he looked into her eyes, he learned the most important part of the language that all the world spoke — the language that everyone on earth was capable of understanding in their heart. It was love."

I stared at Austin as the pastor did a reading that Randy had picked out. I smiled at him, not even being able to believe he was mine and I was his. 

"Something older than humanity, more ancient than the desert. What the boy felt at that moment was that he was in the presence of the only woman in his life, and that, with no need for words, she recognized the same thing. Because when you know the language, it's easy to understand that someone in the world awaits you, whether it's in the middle of the desert or in some great city."

He couldn't hold his smile back which made me warm inside. I couldn't wait to be able to kiss him– and as my husband.

"And when two such people encounter each other, the past and the future become unimportant. There is only that moment, and the incredible certainty that everything under the sun has been written by one hand only. It is the hand that evokes love, and creates a twin soul for every person in the world. Without such love, one's dreams would have no meaning."

It was finally time for the vows and I couldn't wait, so I went first.

"I was once in a boy's room when I probably shouldn't have been. I didn't know him well, but I knew I loved him. I found a piece of paper on his desk and it said "and every time I look at you, I can feel something
stirring inside me. Like a collection of dying stars drowning beneath the waves; waves that belong to your ocean." Austin, I promise each day to love you the way I did when I was nineteen. I promise to always try to remain inside of the waves and create new ones with you. I promise to cherish every second with you, even the ones where you get on my side of the bed," I said and everyone laughed. "I promise to try my hardest to make your mom proud of me and to love you just as half as much as she does. I promise to be the woman you need each and every day."

"He tried to remember how this happened– how she went from someone he never met to the only one that mattered... Nothing before you counts. And I can't even imagine an after," Austin said. I smiled at his incorporating of Eleanor and Park. "My first promise to you, Liv, is to make you feel how you feel when you open up your book. I promise to make Eleanor and Park's love seem like nothing compared to ours. I promise to always have green apple Smirnoffs in the fridge as well. But I really promise to you, you've already said. I promise to make my mom proud of me everyday, and I do that just by being near you. I promise everything to you, Olivia, because that's what you've already given me."

The priest spoke up now as I wiped tears from my eyes.

"Do you, Austin, take Olivia as your lawfully wedded wife? Do you promise to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, to be faithful to her as long as you both shall live?"

"I do," Austin smiled at me.

"Do you, Olivia, take Austin as your lawfully wedded husband? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health; and, forsaking all others, to be faithful to him as long as you both shall live?"

"I do," I nodded, choking on my tears.

We exchanged rings. And as Amelia's ring slid onto my finger, I couldn't think of a more perfect fit for our relationship. I was so proud to be wearing a part of her on me.

"By the power vested in me by the state of California, I now pronounce you man and wife," The priest said. "You may now kiss your bride."

Austin leaned forward and kissed me as everyone cheered around us. I drowned them out and couldn't hear anything except my heart beating so fast I couldn't stand it. I had more butterflies in my stomach than I've ever had in my life.

I pulled away from Austin and pressed my forehead to his. He kissed my nose and then pulled away, turning towards our audience. We stepped forward, walking down the aisle as everyone followed behind us.

Well, after all this time, I can stop joking around about being Mrs. Post.

a/n: this chapter wasn't the greatest, i'll admit, but it's 5am and i didn't want to lose the idea i had. anywayyyyyys hope you liked it at least enough to give me a vote. :))