positive

You knew something was up. Something just felt off. And this was before the missed period, before the throwing up at a moments notice. You'd always tried your best to prevent this from happening, and yet, here you were. Standing in your bathroom, the small test in your hands, the little plus sign glaringly pink on the test. Here you were. Pregnant.

It was only one test, you told yourself, it could be wrong. You knew it wasn't going to be wrong, but you took two more tests just to make sure, and to appease your friend who had made the trip to the store to get the tests. Several minutes later, it was confirmed. You were pregnant.

Unsure of what to do now, you pushed the three positive tests off of the counter and into your drawer in the bathroom. Y/F/N stood next to you as you stood over the sink, rubbing your back slowly, telling you it was going to be okay. As much as you wanted to believe her, it was so hard to. This was not what you had planned for your life. Not at all.

It was silent for a few moments as you tried to breathe normally again, and then Y/F/N asked who the dad was. You bit your lip, not wanting to answer the question. You'd only slept with one person recently, but you didn't want to admit who it was to anyone. Avoiding her question, you just shook your head and shrugged your shoulders.

You knew that she wouldn't believe your lack of response, but she went along with it anyways. She asked if you wanted her to stay, but you shook your head again, telling her you needed to take some time by yourself and think.

After Y/F/N left, you were the only one home, and you desperately needed the time for yourself. What were you supposed to now? You knew you only had a little bit of time before your roommate (and best friend), Tom, would be home. What were you supposed to tell him? Instead of thinking about it, you crawled into bed, pulled the sheets over your head, and avoided it all together.

You knew the moment that Tom had come home - Tessa's barking and feet skidding across the wood floors being a dead giveaway. You sighed, burying yourself further underneath your sheets. You could hear Tom's footsteps as he came up the stairs, then there was a knock on the door, "Y/N, you in there?" Instead of answering, you groaned loudly, throwing a pillow at the door. You could hear Tom's laughter, and then his footsteps fading away.

You couldn't get yourself to do anything other than watch things you'd already seen on Netflix for a few hours. As six o'clock passed, you received a text from Tom that read "will you eat pizza if i order one?" That was a stupid question; of course you would. However, you didn't want to talk to Tom, or anyone else for that matter, so you just ignored the text. He sent a few more texts, and you felt bad, but you ignored those too.

Later that night when you were feeling hungry, you went downstairs to the kitchen as quietly as you possibly could. You made it to the kitchen, and you were able to eat some of the leftover pizza, but as you made your way back up, you ran into Tom. Literally ran into him. He grabbed onto your shoulders to steady you, letting out a laugh, "Sorry, Y/N."

You stared at the ground, avoiding eye contact with him, shrugging your shoulders, your voice coming out in a whisper, "It's alright."

The confusion in his voice was evident as he spoke again, "What's wrong? Are you avoiding me?" You shook your head again, and slipped past him, going back up to your room.

Just as you were about to change into your pajamas, there was a knock at the door, and before you could answer, the door swung open. Tom was standing there with something in his hands, his eyes wide. He looked up from his hands, his eyes locking with yours. "Is this why you've been avoiding me?"

Your eyebrows furrowed together in confusion, tilting your head, "What are you talking about, Tom?"

He held up what was in his hand, and you could see that it was the pregnancy test. "Y/N, you're pregnant?" Your heart stopped and you lost all ability to do anything. "Y/N?" Tom's voice shook you out of your daze, and you quickly crossed the room to snatch the test from his hands.

"What the hell?" your voice came out angrily, giving Tom a glare, "Why were you looking through my drawers?"

Tom held his hands up in defense, "I'm sorry, I was looking for a bandaid. But it's not like I wouldn't have noticed, the boxes were still sitting at the top of the trash."

In that moment, you felt all of the fight and anger rush out of you, and you collapsed onto the bed. The tears you'd been holding back since you'd found out finally fell as you hugged your knees to your chest. Tom was quick to move to your side, wrapping his arms around you, pulling you in closer to him. This was nothing new, he'd comforted you countless times; after breakups, after you'd done badly on a test, when you were just feeling down. His hand rubbed up and down your back slowly, his voice coming out just a murmur, "So, it's true?" You couldn't speak, but you nodded, and you could hear Tom breathe out slowly. "Okay. You'll be okay. I'm here for you every step of the way, don't you worry."

At Tom's words, you let out a loud sob, shaking in his arms as the tears fell more quickly from your eyes. You looked up to Tom, your voice thick with tears and shaking as you spoke, "Tom, it's yours. The baby is yours."

You watched as Tom's eyes widened, some of the color draining from his face, and you could feel his heartbeat quicken against his chest. From the look on his face, you could tell that Tom was remembering the night that it'd happened.

The both of you had been a little tipsy, but not enough to not know what you were doing. You had both known. There wasn't really a reason the two of you had slept together. In the moment, it'd just felt right. You and Tom had been friends for as long as you could remember, and you were just so comfortable with each other. At first, it felt a little weird to be kissing your best friend, but soon the awkwardness faded, and it felt normal. It felt familiar. It had been a good night... great, actually.

After that night, things went back to normal. You didn't talk about what had happened, but it wasn't awkward. It had happened. And that was that. However, you definitely thought you'd used protection. For one, you were on birth control. It was possible that you'd missed, but you doubted that. You swore that you'd used a condom, too. Maybe it broke? It didn't matter, though, because now you were here. Pregnant. With your best friend's baby.

Tom sucked in a breath and he ran his hand through his hair, something you knew he did when he was stressed, before he spoke again, "Are- are you sure?"

You nodded once more, staring down at your hands to avoid eye contact with him. "I'm positive," you mumbled, "you're the last person I slept with. You're the only person I've slept with in a while." Heat rushed to your cheeks as you spoke, daring a quick glance up at Tom, whose cheeks were also flushed, before quickly looking back down.

Silence filled the room, and it was beginning to worry you. This had ruined everything; you knew it would. Just as you were about to open your mouth, Tom spoke. His voice was even, and he seemed calmed as he nodded, "Okay. Alright. You're pregnant. We're going to be parents. We'll figure this out."