day dreams

You sat at the island in the kitchen, watching as Tom made breakfast. Since that first appointment, things had improved, and it'd only been a few days. Tom had promised to do "as much as he could for the both of you," and he was definitely keeping his word.

Currently, Tom was attempting to make waffles, after you had briefly mentioned that waffles sounded good to you. Tom had already eaten a bowl of cereal, but he popped up from his seat, asking you, "Baby wants waffles?" You giggled and nodded in response. "Waffles coming right up!"

"Tom," you asked, "have you ever made waffles?"

Tom turned around and shot you a look, rolling his eyes, "No, but how hard can it be?"

You shook your head, and just let him continue, knowing you wouldn't be able to talk him out of it. You could hear him cursing under his breath as some of the batter spilled all over the counter, and you held back a laugh. Resting your head in your hands, your mind wandered off.

You pictured your baby's first birthday. A mess of brown curls sat atop their head, your eyes looking back at you, a toothless grin on their face. All of your friends and family were gathered in the kitchen as you sat next to your baby's highchair. Tom was bringing over a cupcake, setting it on the tray. Without a pause, frosting and cake were smeared all over your baby's face, and the sound of laughter rang out throughout the house. You and Tom exchanged grins, both leaning to kiss the top of your baby's head.

A few years went by, and you could see your toddler running through the kitchen as fast as their little legs could carry them, brown curls bouncing with each step. Tom was not far behind, chasing them with a smile on his face. He caught the toddler, picking them up and spinning them around as kisses were pressed all of their little face. Squeals and laughter filled the kitchen.

A couple more years had gone by in your mind, and you could see your six-year-old staring up at Tom. You could tell they worshiped the ground that he walked on. They had his hair, his sense of humor, his love of adventure. Even though Tom said that your child was the smaller version of you, you could tell that you and Tom had raised a mini Tom, in almost every way possible. But as you'd always said, the world needed more Toms.

You snapped out of it, as Tom placed a sad looking waffle in front of you. A laugh escaped from your lips before you could help it, sending a questioning look up to Tom. "I tried my best! I'm sure it still tastes good."

Shaking your head, you took a bite and mumbled out between bites, "It tastes great. Thank you, Tommy." He only smiled in response, watching you for a minute. He got up, pressed a kiss to your hair, and exited the kitchen.