nesting

From the moment you got home, the only thing that had been on your mind was shopping for baby Holland, and getting the nursery all set up. You knew it'd only be a matter of time before the baby was here, and you wanted everything to be ready for them. Before Tom left for filming, the two of you had still been sleeping in your own rooms, but you were expecting that to change when he came back, effectively freeing up one of the rooms for a nursery. While he had still been away, you'd been trying to drop hints about what you had in mind for the baby's room. You'd mention that you had seen the absolute cutest crib for the baby, or when he asked what you were up to, you'd say that you were in the middle of cleaning everything to get rid of in unnecessary things. Somehow, he hadn't picked up on the hints, and you had to just come right out an say it a few days after he'd gotten home.

"Babe?" he pulled his eyes away from the TV to look at you, nodding to signal that he was listening. "Can we start moving stuff around for the baby? We're sleeping in one bed now, so I figured we could empty out one of the rooms and make a nursery. I really want to start getting stuff ready."

Turning the TV off, Tom gave you a smile as you shifted and placed your feet in his lap. "Of course, love. What'd you have in mind?" You then spent at least half an hour explaining everything that you'd thought of, and Tom promised that he'd get started on transforming one of the rooms into a nursery. You'd even been successful in convincing him to go shopping for the baby with you over the weekend.

The next morning when you woke up, you were immediately ready to start the day, excited to get the space for your little babe ready. Tom, on the other hand, was not so enthusiastic about getting out of bed only to be headed to the mall, and it took the promise of going to his favorite cafe for breakfast to get him up.

An hour and a half later, with Tom in a better mood and a coffee in his hand, you'd arrived at the mall, ready to shop. Tom had never liked shopping, but you figured you could get him excited with all of the tiny outfits and things to buy for your baby. With his hand in yours, you pulled him through the store until you got to the baby section. On the way there, he'd been grumbling about how much he hated shopping and that he "could be painting the nursery right now." But then, as soon as saw all the tiny things on display, he was all in. He was picking thing after thing up, showing each small item of clothing to you; it was as if he'd never seen baby things before.

Since you still didn't know the gender of your baby, you were trying to pick through things and find stuff that seemed to be somewhat gender neutral. After picking out a few things, you found your way back to Tom, who had a pile of small clothes in his hands. "Tom?" at the mention of his name, he spun around to face you, a giant smile on his lips, "How much stuff do you have there?"

Tom's shoulders shrugged, some of the small hangers falling out of his grasp, "'M not sure. Just thought they were all cute. I can't wait to dress baby Holland in their cute little outfits." Glancing through the pile in his arms, you wanted to let out an exasperated sigh; the pile was filled with an assortment of Spider-Man clothes, and any other Marvel character he'd come across. But, you held back the sigh, because you were thankful that he'd come with, and honestly, it was so cute that he was getting excited over just the clothes.

Rolling your eyes playfully, you put half of the clothes he was holding back onto the rack as you laughed, grabbing onto Tom's hand again. "Bub, we can't buy all of the clothes right now. Let's go look at cribs, and other stuff we need for the room." Before he could protest, you'd tugged his arm, pulling him away from the clothes.

Not long later, you were back at home with a car full of furniture for your baby's new room. The rest of the time at the mall with Tom was spent more or less the same - you had to talk him out of buying a bunch of stuff just because he could. More than once you'd said something along the lines of, "Tom, our baby doesn't need that. Put it back." And though you were the one who had originally brought up the idea of starting on the nursery, it seemed like Tom was ten times more excited than you. The moment you got home, he was upstairs, trying to sort through everything so he could start painting, and all you wanted to do was collapse into bed and sleep for a solid eight hours. Luckily enough for you, Tom insisted that you go get some rest. He refused to let you help move anything, and he didn't want you painting either, so he said it was pointless for you to be awake if you really wanted a nap. After tucking you under the covers, he went back to the nursery, moving all of your old furniture out, and pulling in the boxes for the new stuff.

By the time you woke up from your nap and wandered over to your old room, Tom had moved all of your stuff out with Harrison's help and was almost done painting the room the light shade of gray you'd chosen together. Before you'd walked over to the room, you'd put on one of Tom's old shirts and thrown your hair up into a messy bun so you could help out. Passing the threshold of the door, you pressed a kiss to Tom's cheek, "Hey, babe. Can I help?"

"Nuh uh!" Tom exclaimed, quickly moving to block you from walking any further into the room. You let out a huff, crossing your arms over your chest, sticking your bottom lip out in a pout. Normally Tom was a sucker for your pouty face, but he didn't budge and started walking you back out the door, "No. No way. You can't be in here while we're painting."

Your eyes narrowed as you huffed again in annoyance, "Tom, the paint fumes aren't going to harm the baby. Just let me help you guys out." Tom mirrored your stance, crossing his arms over his chest, shaking his head. You peeked over his shoulder to Harrison who was standing near one of the walls, paintbrush in hand. You shot Harrison a look, trying to get him to help you out, but he just shook his head quickly, eyes widening.

"Y/N, baby, please. I'm sure everything would be okay, I just don't want to take any chances. As soon as we're done painting, we can start setting up the crib and stuff, okay?" This time it was Tom's turn to give you the puppy eyes, and you let out a defeated sigh, nodding your head slowly. "Okay, great!" He pressed a kiss to your forehead, and though you wanted to be mad, a smile appeared on your lips.

You pecked his lips quickly and then gave his shoulders a little push, "I'm going to order some takeout, and then start on the crib. Come get me when you're done!" Your boyfriend yelled out a 'love you!' as you made your way down the hall, but you didn't reply to him as you went down the stairs, shaking your head with a smile on your face.

The rest of the evening passed more or less the same. When the boys had finished painting, they took a break to eat the pizza you ordered, and then you and Tom put together some of the furniture that you'd bought earlier. At the end of the evening, you and Tom were standing in the newly decorated nursery. There wasn't much there - only a crib, a dresser, and a rocking chair. The walls were bare except for the new paint. But you could still see all of the potential, and everything that was going to be happening in the near future.

Tom was standing behind you, his arms around you to rest on your stomach with his chin on your shoulder. You leaned back into his chest, placing your hand on top of his. Letting out a happy sigh as you glanced around the room, you shifted your gaze back up to Tom. The tip of your nose skimmed across his cheekbone as you turned your head to press a kiss to his jaw. When you spoke, the words came out as a whisper against his skin, "Just think. Soon we'll have a little one to put in this room."

You could hear the smile in Tom's voice as he pressed a kiss to your shoulder, "I can't wait. I can't wait to hold them in my arms and rock them to sleep." His hands pulled back, one resting on either side of the bump.

Twisting in his arms to face him, you wanted nothing more than to hug him tightly, chest to chest as he tucked you into his chest, but you couldn't. You leaned up into your toes to wrap your arms around his neck, pressing another kiss against his jaw. Your tummy bumped against Tom as you tried to hug him and you let out a whine, "I just wanna real hug."

Moving his hands to rest against your stomach again, and he laughed as a kick landed where his hand had settled, "Soon, love. Our little butterfly will be here soon, and we'll have our little family. I'll be able to hug both of you as close as possible."