baby names

"Y/N," your name came out of Tom's mouth as an exasperated groan as he dragged it out, looking down at you with a pout on his lips. "Why do we have to talk about names now? We don't even know if we're having a boy or a girl."

You were laying with your head in his lap, and you waited until he was looking at you to give him a playful eye roll. "Because," you started, "if we don't have any idea, we're gonna be those idiots who don't have a name for their baby, and then their baby doesn't have a name for weeks. I'm not doing that to my child!"

Your boyfriend laughed, absentmindedly running his fingers through your hair gently. He put one hand up in surrender, "Alright, alright. You win." A soft kiss was pressed to your lips as Tom bent over you and then gave you a smile. "So, where do we start?"

You rested your hand against your stomach, shrugging your shoulders, "Since we're waiting till baby butterfly is born to find out, I guess we have to come up with girl names and boy names."

Tom placed his hand by yours as he nodded in thought. His fingertips rubbed small circles against the fabric of your shirt and you let your eyes close as your mind wandered. You liked girly names for girls, but you also really liked traditionally masculine names for boys and girls.

"What about something like Cosmo, if we have a boy?"

Your eyes snapped up to Tom's, and you raised your eyebrows, "You're joking, right?" Tom's lips pursed and he laughed a little as he took his hand in yours, giving you a nod, but you weren't totally sure. "Oh my god, do you hate our baby that much? We're not doing that to our child, either, Thomas! I want something cute and maybe a little different, but not that."

A loud laugh left Tom's mouth as he slid his hand into yours, "I don't hate our baby!" You shot him a look and he huffed loudly before speaking, "I know you're joking, but I hope you know that you and our baby are the best things that have ever happened to me."

Your smile softened at his words, and you could feel your heart melt in your chest. You lifted your hands and cupped his cheeks in your palms, pulling him down closer to you. Your lips brushed over his, and you whispered softly to him, "I know, Tom." With a smile on your lips, you gently brought his face even further down, and then his lips were pressed to yours.

When Tom pulled away from you and sat up, you reached up and slipped your fingers into the hair just behind his ear. "Tom?" your voice was soft as you looked at him intently.

He nodded, his hand running back and forth against the material stretching over your growing stomach. "Yes, my love?"

You still weren't used to all of the cute nicknames Tom had taken to calling you, and your heart fluttered rapidly, making your breath catch in your throat. "You're going to be a great dad - you already are," you hesitated before breathing out the rest quickly, "I love you."

The two of you had gotten to the "I love you's" quickly, but Tom had been your best friend for as long as you could remember, and you'd always loved Tom. It hadn't always been in this capacity - or maybe it had, and you just hadn't realized it. You were starting to think that your soulmate theory was right; it just took the two of you a while (and something drastic like pregnancy) to get you where you needed to be.

You never got tired of seeing Tom smile, and your thumb brushed over his cheek as he whispered back, "I love you, too."

With your hand resting on the back of his neck once more, you pulled him down for another short and sweet kiss. Tom's lips lingered over yours, before brushing up your cheekbone. He placed a row of kisses down the bridge of your nose, making you giggle and scrunch your nose up toward your forehead.

"What about Tom Jr.?"

Your laugh came out as a snort, shaking your head, "Tom. No."

Sitting up again, Tom threw his hand up in the air, his head falling back onto the couch in a dramatic fashion, "You don't let me do anything, baby! We're never going to agree on a name."

"Well, if you would stop saying stupid things, maybe I could agree to them!" you giggled, reaching up in the air to grab for Tom's hand. Your fingers laced with his as you finally took ahold of it.

"What about... Parker?"

Your mouth was already open in protest, but as soon as he said the next name, you froze. Your gaze drifted back to Tom's, a small smile forming on your lips, "Actually, that could be an option. But I'm not saying yes."

A proud grin found it's way to Tom's lips and he squeezed your hand as he let out a cheer. "Finally! I love you, Y/N."

"Love you too, Tom."