Chapter 3: Head on straight

~Your Pov~

You walked out of the casino, and through Inkwell Isle three to the island you called home. You still snuck through the third isle to avoid seeing your parents' house again. Just the sight of it made you want to gag.
You walked through and out of the Die House, and over to Grim Matchstick's tower. You looked up to see Grim flying overhead. He looked down, seeming to notice you, and flew down to land right in front of you. "H-H-Hello, (y/n)." he stuttered out in his shy voice. "Hey, Grim." you said, giving him a smile. "H-H-H-How have y-y-you been today?" He asked. "I've been all good." you lied, not wanting to tell him about what had happened at the casino. "How about you?" He pulled put his other two heads, and they all smiled. "We've b-b-b-been alright." all the heads said in sync. You smiled and gave the middle head a little pat. He smiled, and retracted the other heads.

"I haven't seen you a-a-a-all day." Grim stuttered, fiddling with his claws. "Where have you b-b-b-been?" "Oh, I was wondering around Inkwell Isle three." you said, shrugging. "Ooh. What were you d-d-doing?" He asked You bit your bottom lip, trying to quickly think up something to tell him. He tilted his head, waiting for you to answer.
"I got a job!" You blurted out, then quickly covered your mouth. "Oh r-r-r-really?!" He asked, sounding happy. "What job did y-y-y-you get?" You nearly froze. You couldn't tell him it was at the casino. "Well... it's just a cleaning job at Sally Stageplay's theater." you lied, shuffling your toes in the dirt. "It's nothing too big, but it's still exciting." "It's great to know that you'll h-h-h-have something to do w-w-w-when I'm not around to play." he said. "I guess." you replied, hunching your shoulders. You didn't want to have less time to spend with Grim, but you knew there was no way out of this
"Well, my first day is tomorrow, so I better get some sleep." you said, trying to end this conversation. "Oh. G-G-G-Good night." he said. You nodded, and he flew up to the top of his tower, and curled his tail around the base.

You slumped your shoulders, feeling bad for lying to Grim. He was one of your closest friends, but you had no other choice. He couldn't know about you being forced to work at the casino for the rest of your life. It would worry him sick, and you didn't want that. So, you had to lie. You just hoped to whatever God might be out there, that he doesn't find out about it, and try to fight the Devil.
You felt tears begin to sneak out of the corners of your eyes. You were both exhausted, and upset. You needed to sleep, or else you wouldn't have any energy for tomorrow. You patted the ground underneath you to make it more comfortable, and lied down in the grass, beginning to doze off, trying not to think about what awaited you tomorrow.

The next day, you woke up at sunrise, and quickly dashed over to the casino. You did not want to be late on your first day, because who knows what the punishment for that was.
You busted in through the front doors, getting everyone's attention. You saw some skeletons playing cards, shuffling the decks, and the other staff members, chatting among themselves.
You spotted King dice on the other side of the man room. He looked up, and he saw you as well. He beckoned you over to him, you nodded and quickly walked up to him.

"Good morning, (y/n)." He said, returning his attention to his clipboard as you came up to him. "Good morning Mr. King Dice." you replied, feeling a bit skittish. "Your uniform is ready in the Devil's office." he said. "He is waiting for you there." You nodded, and, without another word, began to walk towards the office.
You entered the office, and saw the Devil himself right in front of you, writing new contracts. He looked up to see you, after hearing you shut the door. His regular devilish smile returned to his face when his eyes met yours. "Good morning, (y/n)." he said, standing you. "Good morning, boss." you said, holding your hands behind your back. "You're uniform has been finished." he said, pulling out an outfit on a hanger. "Use the restroom right there to change." He pointed to the restroom to your left. You nodded, took the uniform from him, and entered the restroom.