Chapter 21: Back to back stranger

~Your Pov~

You arrived to the casino the next day early, so you could fit on your new work clothes. They looked very much like your old ones, but you didn't comment about it. They fit you very well, and you felt pretty comfortable. You still work your hoodie and bandanna so they wouldn't recognize you.
 Dice halfheartedly handed you your name tag with your fake name on it. You could tell he still didn't like you, but you knew it was your fault he didn't. But soon enough, he would be happy to know that you were here the whole time, you hoped. 
You went out to do your first work task on your to-do list, which was to clean the casino floors. You headed towards the closet that held the cleaning supplies, and began to get to work. Sweeping up the crumbs and dirt of everything that was discarded to the carpets. As you swept, you looked and saw the other staff members looking at you in disgust. You knew they didn't want you here, and you guessed that they were trying to think up a way to get you to leave or get you fired. You rolled your eyes and continued to clean up the place.

You were half done with cleaning when the casino opened. The carpet was relieved of stains, dirt, and any other contents. You were starting to empty the ash trays as the patrons started to come in. You sighed, and just continued your work. You were carrying some ashtrays over to the garbage can, but then you felt something catch your leg, causing you to trip. You gasped and held the ash trays up as you landed flat on your chest. You lifted your head, feeling a little dizzy, and looked back to see that Mr. Wheezy had stuck his leg out. He smirked down at you, and you knew he did that just to annoy you and make you angry. You shook your head, stood back up, and walked over to the trash can to empty the trays, not even batting an eye towards Wheezy.  After setting them back on the tables, you looked at your to-do list to see what you had next. 
You're next task was to bring out drinks to the patrons. You grabbed a tray, placing some drinks on it that a table ordered. After setting the drinks on the table, you went to grab another set for another table. But before you got to the bar, you felt something hit the back of your knees. You stumbled forwards, nearly falling again, but you quickly caught yourself. You looked back and saw that Phear Lap was standing behind you, whistling innocently. You decided not to give him your time of day, and just went and got some more drinks.

Most of the day, as you were completing your tasks, many of the staff would try to trip you, give you wrong orders on purpose, or do anything to make you look like a screw up. You knew they hated you, but this was your, quote unquote, first day working here. When the casino was closing, it was looking much better than it had yesterday. You felt proud of yourself, and it felt good to be back at work again. You heard some chatter and looked to see Pirouetta whispering to Dice about something. He smirked and nodded, then headed into the boss' office. 
You were helping a couple make their way out of the casino, when you felt a hand on your shoulder. You looked back to see a very displeased Devil. 
"Dice told me you have been messing around all day." he said. "Dropping things, tripping the staff, and giving the wrong orders to people on purpose. Is this true?" You could tell that this was not what he wanted to hear on your first day. You looked behind and saw the rest of the staff grinning. You knew they wanted to get you into trouble, and you knew that you wouldn't be able to get out of it because the Devil didn't trust you like them. 

"Yes, boss." you said, lowering your head. You looked and saw that the staff had all raised their eyebrows in surprise. They probably were expecting you to defend yourself and say that they did it. "Why?" He asked, crossing his arms. "Because I'm a bad person who doesn't care about anyone but myself." you said, solemnly. The Devil raised his brow, staring at you in partial disbelief. 
"Excuse me, sir." the woman from the couple you were assisting walked up next to you. "I would like to make a complaint about your staff members." The staff chuckled, probably thinking that she was going to complain about you being clumsy or getting the orders wrong. "Go on." the Devil said, looking back at his workers to shut them up. "All of those employees are an absolute disgrace to this place!" She snapped, pointing at the staff behind the Devil and startling you. "They have been tripping this girl all day, bumping into her so she'll spill orders, and giving her wrong orders on purpose! I can tell she is new because I've never seen her here before, but that gives them no right to treat her with such disrespect!" 
All of the staff members were in shock, and you could see a twinge of fear in their eyes when the Devil looked back at them. "Thank you, madam." he said. "I will talk to them about this." "Good!" She grumbled, then looked at you and held your hands. "I just wanted to say, your service here has been wonderful. Much better than those awful people." You smiled and thanked her as she walked away. The Devil looked back at his staff members. "Everyone, in my office, now." he ordered. Everyone looked extremely nervous, but followed their boss into his office.

The boss sat in his chair, arms crossed, and glaring at his staff members. You were standing a few feet away from his desk, staring at the floor in embarrassment. "So, what's your excuse for this behavior you've done around Elaina that I just heard about ?" The Devil asked. Everyone shuffled around nervously, not saying anything. You just wished you were back in your grass patch. This was probably the most awkward you had felt in your life. "Well?" The Devil said, breaking the silence. No one had an answer that he didn't know. He knew they all did this because you had talked ill about (y/n). Even though you were just talking about yourself, they didn't know that. So they hated you for it. 
"If I hear anymore complaints about you all mistreating Elaina, all of you will be forced to run through the 7 circles of hell." The Devil warned. "I don't care what your excuses are, or what she has said before. If we keep getting patrons like this, then we'll lose business and you all know it." Everyone shuddered, and nodded quickly. "Good." he grumbled, then dismissed them all. He then looked at you. "Why didn't you tell me they were bothering you?" He asked. You raised a brow, confused by his concern. "I thought you wouldn't care." you said. "I had upset you the other day, and I was sure you hated me because of that." He sighed and looked away. "And, I doubted you would even take my word over theirs." you said, starting to walk out. "I'll see you tomorrow, boss. I'm sorry for this." Then you left his office, and the casino. You quickly speed walked through Inkwell isle three, and headed over the bridge to your little patch of grass. 

"I wonder what he was thinking about."

~Author's Note~

Looks like none of the staff tolerates someone who talks down about their friends
Even if that friend is the one talking down

Sorry for how short this chapter was
I didn't have much inspiration or ideas for it

I'll try to make a longer one next time

I hope you enjoyed!

Stay tuned for more!!

Cuphead (c) Studio MDHR