Chapter 14: Turn the corner

~Your Pov~

You and Jacob went downstairs after hearing his mother calling the two of you. "You're going to have to act like you don't know." he warned. "If she knows you found out about her killing your parents, she'll kill both of us and herself." "Then what do I say?" You asked. "I'm going to be sipping tea right across from my parents' murderers." "Just act like you never ran away." he said. "That's pretty much how she's acting." "I'll try." you replied. 
The two of you went into the breakfast nook, and sat down at the small table with Jacob's mom. You refused to call her your mother anymore. After learning what she had done, she didn't deserve the title "mom." She deserves the title "the nightmare".

"So, dearest, did you enjoy your breakfast this morning?" The nightmare asked. You widened your eyes, nearly spitting your tea. You forgot you had not eaten the breakfast she left you. "I-It was fine." you said lowly, with a stutter. "Was that a stutter I heard?" She asked, sounding irked. "Young lady, speak up and properly!" "It was fine!" You yelled, slamming your fist on the table. "There! Happy now?!" The nightmare wrinkled up her nose, and curled her fingers into a fist. Jacob hid his head under the table, then suddenly there was a crashing noise coming from the grand hall. The nightmare whipped her head in that direction and yelled, "WHO DID THAT?! IF ANYONE BROKE ONE OF MY HIGH PRICED VASES, THEY WILL BE SWINGING!!" You widened your eyes, and hunched your shoulders. The Nightmare stood up and stormed off in the direction of the grand hall. 
Jacob raised his head and showed a small remote in his hand. "I hid a speaker underneath one of the tables in the living room." he said. "Whenever she gets like that, I press a button, it'll make a noise and she'll go check it out." "Thanks." you said quietly. "You didn't eat her breakfast, did you?" He asked. "No. I don't trust anything unless I watch it being made." you said. "Good, because she cooked it. Not our cook." he said, making your eyes widen. "If you're hungry, she's going to go to her room in ten minutes to spend like an hour on her makeup, so you and me can cook something up. To be honest, I didn't eat breakfast either." You lightly chuckled. You and him decided no to drink the tea, since you hadn't seen who made it. Neither of you trusted the nightmare. 

"So... have you ever cooked before?" You asked Jacob. "No." he said, averting his gaze. "You?" "A little bit." you said. "I once had to cook several meals at the casino, when we were hosting the karaoke show there." Jacob's eyes went wide. "Jeez." he said. "All by yourself?" You nodded. "How?" He asked. "I used every cook book we had, and we had about six to eight ovens and stovetops." you said. "How'd you not burn the place down?" He asked. You shrugged and said, "I guess because it's in hell." "You got a point there, I guess." he said. "So what should we make?" You asked. "I think our cook has some cook books on top of the fridge." he said. "We don't want to make anything too fancy, Jacob." you reminded him. "It's just breakfast." "Right, right." he said. "What's fast and easy?" 
You both thought it through for a while, then you decided that the fastest thing to make would be pancakes. Typical and cliche, you both knew it, but you only had one hour to make breakfast, and with your knowledge of how to make something quick, pancakes would be the best solution.

You and him got the mix from the cupboard, the pans from the lower cabinets, and the rest of the ingredients from the fridge. You got a glass bowl from the same place as the pans, and set it on the countertop. You put the mix in first, then the eggs and milk. You and him playfully fought over who got to stir the mix. Bumping each other like kids, making playful angry noises. "Careful, or you're going to spill it, you dork." you said, trying to move him out of the way. "Me? You're the one who's going to spill it if you don't let go." he said. 
He then took the spoon out of the bowl and tried to smear the ingredients on your face. You jumped back and let go of the spoon. He laughed and continued to mix the ingredients. "I hate you." you said, shaking your head. "Sure you do." he teased, making you snort with laughter.