Chapter 19: Go Home Again

~Your Pov~

You woke up just as the sun was finishing rising. You looked to see the residents of Inkwell Isle two already getting the place ready for people who were coming for a day at the carnival. You stretched your arms and changed into your cleaner clothes, then you heard some noise from above you and looked up to see that Grim was just waking up, too. You smiled widely and whistled, getting his attention. When he looked down, you waved at him. His eyes went wide, and he smiled widely. He swooped down from his tower, landing next to you rather roughly. You lost your balance for a moment from him shaking the ground, but quickly caught it just in time for him to grapple you into his arms.
You flinched a little, but then giggled and returned his hug. "I m-m-missed you so much!" He said. "Where d-d-did you go?" "I was just about to go talk to Cuphead and Mugman about that." you said. "You can come with me, so I don't have to explain the story twice." He nodded, and gestured for you to get on his back. You grinned, and climbed aboard him. He took off, and brought you to the cup brothers' house. You landed with him to see the two brothers waiting for you. The boys came up and hugged you, causing you to smile widely. They then asked why Grim was here, to which you explained that he also wanted to know where you had been over the last week and a half. 

You and them decided to walk over towards the shore and sit down. You looked out at the sun sparkling on the water. "Man, I missed this view." you said with a sigh. Mugman chuckled, and Cuphead gently punched your arm. You playfully glared at Cuphead and stood up. He raised a brow and watched as you removed your shoes and socks. You then carefully stepped into the cold water, throwing a very menacing smile towards Cuphead. You could almost hear him gulp just as you kicked some water in his direction. He shrieked like a little girl and threw his hands over to cover himself from the cold water. You all giggled at Cuphead's shriek, but then you you lightly yelp as you felt a force against your chest. You looked and saw that Cuphead had jumped on you, knocking both of you into the cold, morning water. You sat up, shaking your head and making sure Cuphead was okay. The two of you looked to see Mugman and Grim laughing at the two of you. So you both smirked at each other, and got up to get back on your feet. You nodded to each other, then began to splash the mug and dragon, who both flinched and shrieked as well. 

For about forty five minutes, you and your buddies had a splash fight. Completely forgetting the reason you were there in the first place. When all of you were soaked and laughing like fools, you all sat down on the shore once again. "That was fun." you said. wringing out the hem of your shirt. "Yeah." Cuphead agreed. "So, are you gonna tell us why you were gone for so long now?" Your eyebrows jerked upwards. "Oh how rude of me." you said. "I should have done that as soon as I got here. Not starting a splash fight and soaking us all." Mugman chuckled and said it was fine. Grim lied behind you all and created a small fire to help the four of you dry off and warm up, and you began explaining where you had been and what had happened this past week and a half.
After you had finished explaining, your three friends were in complete shock and disbelief. They asked several questions, but you took your time to carefully answer them. The brothers could not believe what that nightmare had done to your life, and what she attempted to do. You just said that it was over, and you were glad that she was gone from you life. 
You all sat there, talking about the whole ordeal until it was high noon. After that, the Elder Kettle called the boys in for lunch. They called back that they were coming, and stood up. "So, what do you plan to do now, (y/n)?" Cuphead asked. "Are you gonna go back to the Devil?" You lowered your head, thinking about how you were going to just go back to him all of a sudden. "I mean, I love him." you said. "I can't just not go back." You looked at the two boys who were both in shock. "You love him?" Mugman asked. You chuckled and nodded. "I've loved him for a long time." you said. "But now, I just don't know how to confront him again." "We could help!" Cuphead chirped. You smiled and replied with, "Thanks. But I need to do this on my own." "Aw, c'mon." he whined. "Cup, if she wants to do this by herself, then we have to let her." Mugman said. Cuphead sighed and said, "Alright. Well, we'll see you later, (y/n)." Then they headed back towards the Elder Kettle's house for lunch. 

Grim brought you back to his tower, and you and him talked for a while. He asked you if you were absolutely sure about getting back with the Devil. You told him you were and that he didn't need to worry because you knew the Devil wouldn't hurt you, or allow you to get hurt. He knew you were right, because he heard from many people that the Devil loved you. He nodded, and flew back up to his castle. You changed out of your soaking clothes, and went to the nearest laundromat to clean them. After you put them in, you went out for a quick minute to Porkrind's Emporium. As soon as you walked in, you were greeted with a hearty hello. Porkrind asked where you had been, and not wanting to explain the whole story again, you shortened it to saying you got kidnapped, and your step brother and step sister-in-law helped you get away and get home safely. He was shocked, and asked if you were okay. You nodded and said that you were just as you were before.
After catching up, you asked him if he had any cloaks. He did, and handed you one. It was one of those with a hood, and a cape draping in the back. You paid him the amount of coins he asked for, and he handed you the cloak. You tried it on, and it felt really nice. You placed the hood over your head, almost obscuring your face. "How do I look?" You asked Porkrind. He paused for a moment than said, "Who are you?" You and him exchanged a laugh, then you thanked him and headed back to the laundromat to retrieve your clothes. 

It was about one fifty O'clock when you were finished with your small errands, and you returned to your patch of grass. You set your clean clothes in your backpack, and hid it in the bushes. You still had the cloak on, and you had tied a bandanna around your neck in case you had to pull it up to hide your identity from anyone at the casino. You walked through Inkwell Isle three, and looked to see the nightmare's house. You then saw someone putting up a "For Sale" sign outside it, and that made you smile. You waved to the person, and continued to walk through the isle. 
You walked all the way through until you were at the steps to Inkwell Hell. You took a deep breath as you stared into the deep, dark cave that lead to the lair of the Devil himself. You felt someone behind you, and looked back to see the Blind Specter. 

"I wouldn't go in there if I was you." he said. You smiled and remembered how this all started when you talked to him about going on there the first time. "Why not?" You asked, him not seeing your smile under the hood. "The Devil has not been pleasant ever since he lost his love." he said, making your smile disappear. "What do you mean?" You asked. "He's been so aggressive." he explained. "Been trying to forcibly take peoples souls without trying to persuade them into a deal like he normally does. He's lost a lot of business in the past few days. I heard he just mopes around on his throne, wanting to end it all." You knit your eyebrows in concern. "Well, perhaps he'll be calmer today." you said. "Don't push your luck." he replied. "If I were you, I wouldn't go anywhere near that place. It's all kinds of bad." Then he proceeded to float back to the phantom express.
You became worried about the Devil, and looked into the cave once more. 'If he's behaving like this, is it really safe to just go in and see him?' You thought. 'Maybe Jacob's right. I'll have to slowly approach him. I won't let him know it's me, but I'll give him some hints until he catches on.' 

You took a deep breath, and walked into the cave's mouth, entering the fiery pit known as Inkwell Hell.

~Author's Note~

So much is going to happen. I wonder how, though.

Sorry for how short this chapter is. I'll try to make it longer next time 

I hope you enjoyed!

Stay tuned for more!!

Cuphead (c) Studio MDHR