C H A P T E R 13

ART OF LEAVING

KAI

I was lounging in Milos' office while waiting for the arrival of the Nightshade pack. Our hands were full considering we have to host for two packs for the next few days. The additional visitors would take the hotel rooms we managed to book in town and ordered twice the maximum number of food to supplement what we have prepared. Usually, hunting game would have been preferred but at this number, the influx of wolves will raise alarm for the townspeople. Everything was in order, I should have been able to rest but I couldn't.

By this time, Arrah and Chief Ryan must have long arrived at their destination and the two friends have already met up.

When she told me where she was going, the ringing in my ears wouldn't stop and I felt like gagging on my tongue. I couldn't go there. I couldn't accompany her. I figured with everything else going on, Milos wouldn't let her go but I was wrong.

Nothing bad would happen.

Though it's already been a few days, I could still feel my lips burning with the sensation. My mate kissed me but even though I liked the feeling of her lips on me, I did the stupidest thing and pushed her away.

"How do you do it?"

Sensing my Alpha's eyes on me, I put the documents I've been pretending to read for the past two hours aside, "Pardon?"

"How do you do it, Kai?" My brother huffed and put his pen down. He was studying the contract for the reconstruction of the hospital the last attack destroyed.

"Do what?"

"Sit there and drink your tea like the other part of your soul isn't missing," he sighed and leaned heavily against his chair.

I fared just fine for eighteen years. I've been unmated since. What was the fuss about?

"There is no need for you to concern yourself with my business, brother." I hated it when he mothered me more than our actual mother did. Our parents understood the boundaries and did not push much when they learned about Arrah and me being mates.

If only my brother would do the same and not poke his snout where it didn't belong, I could have kept my fragile peace.

"I could never understand how you could go against the mate pull like that," he wondered aloud.

"Why do you make such a big deal out of it?" he asked me that and I have already answered him. I've outgrown the mate bond, years and years of waiting and not having found mine while all the wolves my age have managed to find theirs made sure of that. I wasn't getting any younger and so I couldn't rely on a mating bond and wait. I found someone to share her life with me.

I made my choice on my terms, having lost hope of a predestined pairing.

"You know for a woman your age, you're acting like a spoiled brat." He tapped on his table to get my attention. "You never outgrow the bond, no one does. Spiting Arrah because you think the world owed you for making you wait. Grow up!"

I refused to grace that with an answer. He was my Alpha as he was my brother. I knew I couldn't talk to him regarding this without being snappy and snapping at the Alpha was greatly discouraged. Death would be reason enough not to.

"Finding someone that was created for you is worth the wait, Kai. You are made for each other."

My best years have gone by wasted on waiting. I was getting too old for that shit.

My phone rang and Cyrus informed us that the Nightshade pack has arrived. "Your duty calls, Alpha." I stood, headed for the door, and opened it for him.