C H A P T E R 29

FAULTY WISHES AND ECLIPSES

ARRAH

Another dream.

A young boy shy of five years old was running up the hill holding a Takay flower in his little hand. He reached the top and stopped then held the flower to a woman nursing a baby under the shade of the tree. Proudly offering the flower, his smile was showing a gap in between his teeth where a new tooth was growing.

The woman happily took the flower and kissed the boy's forehead. He then sat on the grass and laid his head on the woman's lap. With her free hand, she played with the boy's hair. The woman asked him something and the boy answered by excitedly pointing to the left where a huge figure was coming to them. It was a huge black wolf.

Am I dreaming of the future with Kai?

Kids and an enjoyable leisurely moment under the sun...

Impossible.

The wolf shifted into the shape of a man. He took the embroidered cloth by the grass and wrapped it around his waist. The boy got up and ran to him. The man caught him when he leaped. Giggling, the boy raised his arms higher as he pretended to fly while the man held him up. Once exhausted from playing, the boy asked to be seated again. The woman shook her head and laughed. The wind blew her hair up and revealed the other half of her face. Blue eye with silver iris just like mine.

Mayari's daughter!

"So she lived a better life."

'And if I could, I would have frozen the time and made everything real.'

A smaller version of Baku materialized beside me. We watched them interact, oblivious to us.

'She seemed happy, don't you think?'

"Yes. No doubt. You said I was the only one to be claimed and bonded. But then here she was."

'You are. He was a childhood friend and my Akì loved him. They then married as soon as they could... However, he was not her mate and she was not his.'

"They were not bonded." No marking.

'Only the marriage ritual of the humans and a mating ceremony tied them together.'

"It's okay. That could happen. Just like the present, some chose to live with a chosen mate." Let her have that. "Tell me..."

'Tell you what?'

Averting her eyes from the scene before us, Baku turned around and slithered to rest on the ground.

"Tell me she lived the rest of her life tasting the good and the bad... even then, tell me she was happy." Tell me I could have that too.

'If I had one, I would have given my heart to ensure it... that she was happy.'

I held my breath waiting for the answer. Because if she had a chance, then so will I... Kai and I will be able to have that too.

'At a certain point in her life, that child did live happily... but I'd be lying if I said it lasted.'

My heart constricted. "Why?"

'On the first birthday of their daughter, he found his mate.'

The perfect picture of happiness shattered before my eyes. "He left them..."

'The man moved away and lived with his mate, leaving her with two children to care for. By human years, she was twenty-five then.'

Their spouses finding their true mates were every chosen mate's nightmare. It happened to Kai and Olivia. Being that both were women and not true mates, Kai knew that they wouldn't have children because her wolf wouldn't recognize Olivia. And yet, she still chose her.