C H A P T E R 26

DO I?

KAI

"Don't you think you're going overboard by keeping her locked up in your house?" Milos asked.

"She's not being locked up, Alpha." Milos has been telling me to let Arrah out of the house.

"She's not exactly free when she can't walk in and out of it whenever she wants either," he sighed. "Kai, can't you see you're smothering her?"

"I do what I can to protect my mate, Milos," I addressed him without his title. "My mate..."

"From whom exactly?" He finished signing the documents and sat on the couch opposite mine. "From a certain woman named Sid?" His eyes were boring through me.

Hearing Sid's name was enough to make my blood boil and my wolf to go berserk. Arrah came back that morning weeks ago with Sid, not telling me what happened, where they went, or why they were together.

"From those who wish to hurt her," I said through gritted teeth.

Milos shook his head. "The one who is hurting her the most right now is you, Kai."

I sat straight and gripped the armrest.

"I'm keeping her safe."

Cyrus and Edmund were telling me how her days go. They were saying Arrah was not pleased to be on house arrest. She has also been vocal about not liking being cooped up inside the house but I paid no heed. I feel at ease knowing she's there. She can act out all she wants like earlier during lunch. I can take it.

"Better have her hate me as long as she's safe."

"What about having her happy to be with you, Kai?" Milos said. "Is she still happy?"

I didn't know what to say to that. These days she didn't even smile and I know I haven't been the best mate. Heck, I don't even feel like a good person walking around being angry all the time.

"Do you think it was wise to invite Olivia to lunch with Arrah?" Nothing escapes my brother. He knew even that. I won't be surprised if he knew what we had for lunch. "You're a log head, sister."

"Sierra was with us too," I said.

"Whoa, and nobody got hurt?" Milos brought his hand to massage his temples. "That's even worse..."

"What?" I asked.

"Your stupidity knows no bounds..." he groaned. "Were you this thoughtless when you were with Olivia before?"

He sounded like I've made a big mistake. "What do you mean?"

"Has Olivia met with one of your exes before?" he asked. "Shared a meal with said ex?"

"No. Of course not." She would not like that and it would be an uncomfortable meeting. "She would have thrown a fit."

"Then Arrah must have had the patience of a saint when you're here in one piece after making her go through that," he sighed.

"Why would that be?" Olivia has Sierra and I had Arrah. We're with our true mates. Both pairs complete and whole. Secure. "You can't be grilling me over my relationships just because I had one before meeting her. You had your share too."

"Well, I did but none of them were serious. I didn't marry..."

"That's because you were blessed to find Samara at such a young age." He would never understand how I felt. I resigned myself to the fact that I would never find my mate so I won't be sorry for trying to live my life. We both have to accept that we didn't come into each other's lives fresh and rosy.