C H A P T E R 35

INVITATION TO GATHER

KAI

Taking another swing at me, Arrah aimed for my heart. I stood and moved away to avoid the dagger but it caught me in the arm. It cut deep. I'm bleeding nonstop from two wounds my mate has inflicted upon me. As I stopped and paused to assess them, she used the opportunity to have another go at my heart. Both hands on the dagger's hilt, she made a deliberate move to drive it through my chest. The tip of the water dagger tore through me but not more than half an inch. Preventing her from thrusting it any farther, I had both hands bleeding as I grasped the blade.

"Arrah?" Her eyes showed not a hint of recognition. All she had in mind was killing me. The strength by which she continued to push the dagger against my hold was beyond me. She got physically stronger than she usually was.

Virtually like a shifter's strength and not that of a latent wolf.

It wasn't like her to hurt anyone. The Arrah I knew would rather hurt by herself than try to do anything to harm others intentionally. Especially me. She would never want to kill me.

Somebody's controlling her.

"Arrah, I know you're in there somewhere... You're stronger than this. Don't let it win over you." She must regain her senses. I forced her hands down and pinned the hand holding the dagger behind her back. She kept struggling to free herself that the blade nicked my wrist. "Nadia and I will be there... I'll be here with you this time."

I won't fail you. Trust in me.

Although her body was purposely giving everything at making sure she succeeded in getting rid of me, her empty eyes incessantly shed tears. I reached for her face to wipe her tears but they never dried as a new river flowed as soon as the last one ceased. I hugged her to me and kissed her forehead. I felt the water dagger in her hand dissolve and revert to its original shapeless form then drop.

"Why won't you? Why won't you die for me, Kai?" She leaned heavily on my shoulder.

"I need you to die for me. That's all I need." I was not getting through to her. I let her go and that was when I noticed them. She put one weapon down only to summon heaps of water daggers - all of them directed at me. They hung a good distance from where we stood, distanced enough to give them good momentum. With tremendous driving power, they could pierce through me as soon as they were set on the loose.

Her face was twisted in anger. "Die!"

I couldn't do anything else but watch her watch me die as she sent all of them flying at me. Holding her at an arm's length, I dare not pull her to me in the fear of having her caught in the line of fire. I held my tongue, gritted my teeth, and steeled myself against the pain. Tearing through my skin and some breaking bones, each dagger found a place to land on my body. Not one missed.

"Such great aim, babe." Not able to keep myself upright, I fell on my knees. Gravel bit upon my knees as I hit the ground. Blood rushed up to my mouth. I must have damaged an internal organ.

"You missed my heart," I was making light of the situation while my mate wept.

Wake up, Arrah.

Her tears gathered under her chin. They never seemed to end. The blades embedded on my body turned to water and drenched my robe. As they disappeared, my blood spontaneously flowed until they flooded where I sat.

Soiled blood rose and formed another dagger in her hand. A weapon made of my own blood. With the same power she used to bind Alpha Pierce before, she willed me up. Holding me by my robe, she pointed the tip of the red blade towards her target - my heart.