C H A P T E R 30

A LIFE TO LIVE

KAI

"Happy Birthday, Ms. K!" One of my students greeted me again as I made my way to the school building's main entrance. Thanking him, I waved and walked out of the building.

The late afternoon sun was warm but nothing beats the contagious smile of the young woman standing by my car. Cyrus and Edmund have long been relieved from guarding duty. They resumed their posts as guardians of the territory. A whole year and almost a half passed without any problems. Ordinary but happy and fruitful months where we grew closer.

Truth be told, I think – no, I, I know it's the happiest and content I've been. There was no comparison between the past and the present. I loved different women differently. She was the one.

I refrained from relying on sensing her through the bond because when it comes to her and our situation, the bond was as reliable as the wind's direction. My mate could be right next to me or sleeping peacefully in my arms when I would suddenly feel—not feel her there.

Terrifying.

It felt like my heart was carved out but I would feel it beating again. Like an amputated leg, I was suffering from frequent phantom pains. However, unlike a severed limb, my heart, she was there. Only that sometimes it feels like she was not and it hurt.

Thankfully, she was so adept at sensing my unease. With a touch, she would dispel the persistent fear.

She decided to take online classes and never leave for a university. Frankly, that made me a lot better and more at ease. I know I was the one pushing her to return to school but I still can't shake the feeling of dread when I'm not with her for long periods of time.

For her part, she learned not to push the boundaries I've laid out for her own safety. Even though she was no longer just homebound, she seldom leaves our home alone. However, when she does, she would always let me know beforehand so I could assemble her security detail.

Precautions were necessary, especially when ex-Alpha Pierce has gone rogue on his own and took a group of wolves with him. Those who shared his thirst for power and world domination were easily persuaded by him. His raucous bunch was mobile and recruited more wolves to join them. We should have killed him while we had the chance.

I should have killed him before he poisoned the minds of other wolves. A joint team of wolves from different packs monitored their activities but when an assault team moved in to apprehend them; they vanished into thin air. It would then take another few months to locate them and plan; however, just like the previous attempts, it would end in the failure of their capture.

A few scouts have been ruthlessly killed by them that it was dangerous to send only one or two to track them. The buddy system grew into a dozen and that meant the enemy was having a picnic at smoking in their approach. Yet, their location was unknown. Although, it would only be a matter of time before he tries to attack and take Arrah.

I'll be ready to crush him and his minions.

Arrah's powers weren't always dependable and given that she can defend herself, it also drains her. If she passes out it would make her an easy target. I've seen her almost out of it after healing a surviving scout and a few other pack members.

Her body was not cut out for the duty.

In the end, I had to put a stop to it. I forbade her from using her powers again and even had to put my foot down and end her apprenticeship. Old Maya had other talented healers in her ranks; my mate doesn't have to be the one to take her place. Continuing on taking an active part as a healer was hurting my mate. Milos and I fought about it but there was nothing he could do to change my decision. He protects this pack and every wolf in it. However, I protect her. They can't keep putting her life in jeopardy to save theirs. Her life matters too.