E X T R A

MAYARI

That lifeless woman they claimed to be my dear Akì didn't stir though her mate willed her to wake up.

How horrible of a mother was I that as she laid there I could not bring myself to feel?

The memories I had of my Akì was of a babe suckling at my bosom to feed. Not of a full-grown woman. Such a short life never granted me the luxury of being with her. Risking damning myself, I threw everything away and aimed at the heart of a goddess. The curse would only break once the caster's life has been taken or after it has completely done away with its subject so I sought the heart of death itself to bargain.

Protecting Búlan would be a sacrifice worthy enough in exchange for my young one.

Alas, no bargain took place.

The god of second chances eluded me and my fervent wish for a new life for Akì fell short. Bringing the sorrow of thinking she would have breathed her last before I have gone, my soul would not rest. However, even in death and after, my wish remained.

'Protect her...'

I was not heard.

No. Someone listened. The Bakunawa, who swore humans were mortal enemies and cared little for their lives, came to my aid. She heard my pleas and defied the rule. To protect Akì would mean harnessing the immortal life force of the goddess Búlan.

How it managed the feat of soul binding, only the deity knew.

For a deity of low origin who dared to lay a hand on Búlan, one of the offsprings of the supreme sky god and the death goddess' beloved, awaited a punishment worse than death.

'You wanted him to punish you? Why would you want to be human? Do not be foolish! He would not show you grace forever.'

Sidapa was right. For the Bakunawa to have kept Búlan for many a year, the sky god has shown leniency. However, continuing to do as it pleased was an insult that could only be paid with the same.

To be human...

Death was inevitable for humans and for my great companion from centuries past to seek a mortal life, I could not understand.

'And rebirth. A cycle of life and death every mortal must go through. The pain. Toiling from dusk to dawn. Over and over.'

As the moon goddess said, human life would equate to suffering. Still, it seemed to want it more.

'A mortal and an immortal have different fates.'

A human child who barely knew the Bakunawa for less than a third of her life had a better grasp of the deity's heart.

Why didn't I?

A mere human such as I do not deserve so much kindness from an immortal unless I was favored.

Or loved.

'Baku wanted to die with you.'

"I offer myself in her place," the she-wolf told Sidapa. Tenderly brushing her fingers on the dead woman's face, she kissed her beloved's lifeless lips before she continued her plea, "Bring Arrah back and take me instead."

Brave but foolish.

The Bakunawa and I already made a trade with Búlan's life so why would the goddess of death dally?

"Sidapa-?"

She silenced me with her hand and addressed the begging wolf. "How could you speak so lightly about your own life? Have you full knowledge of what you just spoke of, mutt?"