TEN

I've been told, I've been told to get you off my mind
But I hope I never lose the bruises that you left behind
Oh my lord, oh my lord, I need you by my side
There must be something in the water
'Cause everyday it's getting colder
And if only I could hold you
You'd keep my head from going under

We made it to the plane without a single problem.

Thank the Lord.

I sat in my seat and Jaxon sat next to me, his protectiveness on high alert.

"If anything happens," he handed me a tiny black device, "press that button. My guys will be able to track you anywhere in the world."

"What? Why would you not be with me?"

"That is for the worst scenario, Lyla."

"What is worst scenario?"

"They kill me."

My eyes went wide as I felt tears brim. "You cannot die. I need you."

"Lyla, you can survive. You're strong and smart."

"We're not having this conversation because nothing is going to happen to you."

"Still, put this in your bra."

I grabbed the device from him and slipped it in my bra. He watched me as I did it before turning away and taking a deep breath. I smirked at his reaction.

The entire plane ride was uneventful. I've never been more thankful to be bored.

Jaxon called his men and I stood stiffly beside him.

"They'll be here in ten minutes," he said, hanging up the phone.

"How do they not track your phone?"

"It's secured."

"Oh," I muttered.

Jaxon got another phone call and turned his back to me. I looked around for a second before realizing we don't have our bag. I decided to run and get the bag while he was on the phone. I walked over as our bag came down the line. I reached out to grab it when someone grabbed my arm and snatched me back. Lips touched the back of my ear and I cringed.

"Don't make a scene or else my man next to your bodyguard will snap his neck."

I gulped and walked quietly as the man pushed me ahead of him. He walked me into the ladies bathroom before locking the door behind us. Inside, a man with slick black hair was leaned against the sink.

"Well hello Lyla. I've been looking for you."

"Who are you?"

"I'm a former business partner with your father. He kicked me out of the business a couple months ago." The man walked closer to me. His eyes were an icy blue, his jaw strong. There was something familiar about him but I could not place it.

"Are you the man that called me?"

He smirked. "You're very bright. Eccellente." (Italian: Excellent)

"What do you want from me?" My voice held strength.

"I need you to get some information for me."

"I don't know anything. My father won't even tell me what his business is."

"Oh trust me, sweetheart," he grabbed a strand of my hair and held it between his fingers. I straightened my spine, refusing to cower down. "You'll find out soon enough."

He looked at the man behind me and nodded before looking back at me.

"This never happened. You never saw me. Go back to your bodyguard and if you slip up, I'll kill him, slowly, while I force you to watch."

I turned from him and looked at the man behind me. He had shaggy brown hair and eyes so dark they appeared black. He glared at me. I scanned his body, looking for weapons. Sure enough, I could see a pistol under his suit. I grabbed the door. A cold hand grabbed my wrist.

"Don't forget what I said," the man with the icy blue eyes said.

I nodded and walked out of the bathroom.

Panic was clear on Jaxon's face as he scanned the airport with his eyes. He found me and rushed to me.

"Lyla! Where did you go?!"

"I had to pee. Sorry."

He grunted and pulled me by my wrist outside.

"I'm not a child," I snapped. "You can stop pushing me around like one."

"Stop acting like one and I won't have to."

I glared at him and got into the backseat of the car.

I looked up at the driver and he smiled at me from the mirror. "Hello, Miss Johnson."

"Hi, what's your name?"

"Parker. Lance Parker."

"Nice to meet you. Say, Lance, is there any way we can just leave him here?"

"I'm afraid not, ma'am." He chuckled. "He's my boss, in a way."

I sighed and plopped back on the seat. Jaxon got in the backseat next to me.

"What are you doing?"

"Getting in the car," he stated plainly.

"Get in the front. I don't want you back here."

"Lyla," he pinched the bridge of his nose. Lance choked on his spit.

Oh yeah! He's not supposed to call you that.

"Miss Johnson," he corrected, glaring at Lance. "My job is to keep you safe, not to make you happy."

I scoffed and scooted all the way to my side of the car. I leaned my head against the darkly tinted window and sighed. After a few moments, Lance pulled out onto a very crowded road.

"What does my father do?" I blurted. Both men tensed. "What is his business, I mean?"

Neither answered me. "Hello?" I called.

"It's none of your concern," Jaxon dismissed.

"I need to know what my father does. What if I get kidnapped and they cut my fingers off one by one wanting information that I don't know anything about."

"You will not be kidnapped, Miss. Not on my watch."

I internally scoffed.

I was just locked in a bathroom with two strange men and you didn't realize it.

I shook my head and turned back to the window.
I'm so sick of being treated like a child. I need to know what my father does. I began formulating a plan in my head to figure out what my father does.

Tonight, I'm going to put a sedative from the gunshot wound kit into Jaxon's drink. Then, while he's passed out, I will go through his phone and get as much information as I can.

My body shook with anxiety.

This is going to be tough. He never lets his guard down. Except when... I smirked to myself. I know exactly what to do.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Song: Bruises
Artist: Lewis Capaldi