Chapter Twenty-One - Shattered Heart

Father stroking my hair woke me, but I didn't stir. In the dim early morning light, I kept my eyes closed, pretending to sleep. My heart still ached from the forced loss of Mhor.

Father kissed my head, then climbed to his feet and left.

I sat up, staring at the door flap. I had to find a way to be with Mhor. If I could flee to him, right before my heat set in...

Collecting fresh clothes, I headed outside. Father had already gone, while my brothers Hektos and Thelmos sat by the fire, eating. I made my way over and sat between them.

Thelmos looked me over slowly. "How do you feel, Zora?"

"I'm alive." I reached over and pulled off a chunk of meat from the roasted wildebeest.

He wrapped his arm around me and nuzzled my ear. "I was afraid we'd lost you. There was so much blood."

I purred, nuzzling him back. "I'm not going anywhere."

Hektos shuffled closer, nuzzling me as well against my shoulder. "Zora—"

Thelmos growled, pushing him back. I started, glancing between them. Hektos leaned away, staring into the fire as he ate. Thelmos kissed my cheek. "I need some rest. We're planning a final push later to force Voch and his sons off the land."

"Just be careful," I said, touching his cheek. Glancing at Hektos, I added, "All of you."

"I'll be fine." Hektos smiled. "I've already killed three sons of Voch."

Alarmed, I leaned back. "Hektos—"

"I've killed four in this battle alone," Thelmos said. "But many more than that for trespassing on my land. The sons of Voch are reckless and selfish. They'd do harm to innocent females and our young if we didn't stop them."

I sighed, picking at the meat. "What of Mhor?"

Hektos glanced away. "I should check on my mate."

"Yes, get some rest, brother." Thelmos squeezed my waist. "You need to forget Mhor. Father will cast him out once we are done."

"But he's my mate." I looked into Thelmos' eyes, my heart aching.

He shook his head. "Not anymore."

I grasped his apron, desperate for him to understand. "Please, he didn't mean for me to get hurt. He was trying to protect me."

He caressed my cheek. "But you did, and so, he failed." He stood, stretching his bronze legs and arms. "I need some rest. Take it easy, Zora, and make sure you eat so you can build up your strength again."

I nodded, staring into the fire as he walked to a tent and slipped inside. All I wanted was Mhor. He hadn't meant to hurt me. Why didn't anyone understand?

As I finished eating, Naya and her sister slipped into a tent together. I made my way over, eager for a friend. As I approached, the soft moans of mating came from within. I peered into the tent. Hektos mated with his female, while Naya sat back watching. Her sister grasped her hand, squeezing. "Choose Hektos and be my beta."

Hektos bit her ear, forcing her focus back to him. "I am mating with you, Claryn. Focus on me."

He kissed her deeply, then leaned back to drive deeper into her.

Naya stretched out her hand and squeezed her sister's breast. "I don't think I want to be your beta."

"Don't be..." Claryn panted, then moaned as Hektos thrashed into her, both of them releasing simultaneously. "Hektos..."