fifteen

I feel hands cover my eyes as I walk into school and I know instantly that they're Brad's. Mostly because he's my only friend and slightly because of his cold rings against my cheeks.

"Brad, I can't see," I whine, pulling at his hands and eventually he lets go of me. He grins as he walks ahead of me, stopping in front of me so that we both aren't walking.

"Happy birthday," he says, and I roll my eyes as my cheeks heat up. "I got you a card and a present but they're at my house. Now, you have to come."

I had told Brad that he didn't have to let me around to his house since I was fine being alone tonight. He had been trying to convince me to come all week.

"I told you not to get me anything," I tell him, a disappointed look on my face and he only grins childishly at me.

"I know, but we both knew I was gonna get you something anyway," he replies. It was true, and I couldn't help but feel my heart warm at the fact he wanted to get me something. "Let me take you to class."

He takes me to tutor and promises that he's gonna be outside waiting for me so he can take me to first period. I'm pretty sure that he was waiting outside the classroom for me because he's at the same spot he left me at.

"What do we have first?" He asks as he tilts his head.

"We have phys ed," I tell him and we begin walking to class. He stays by my side the entire way. Ever since I got knocked down by the five boys, Brad made sure he didn't accidentally end up walking off.

It had its benefits which included everyone moving out the way for Brad and therefore for me, but it also came with the constant looks of other people. Why is she with him? Who is she? They would whisper.

"Do you think if I tell coach that it's your birthday, he'll let us not do anything today?" Brad asks curiously and I look at him, bewildered.

"No, Brad, he won't let us have a lesson off just because you told him it's my birthday," I say, rolling my eyes at his ridiculousness. We depart as we reach the changing rooms and I quickly get into my kit.

"We're doing badminton today, since it's raining outside," Coach Burton says once we've all met up in the sports hall. The badminton nets were already set up for us.

Brad and I pair up and it turns out that we're both pretty good at badminton. We end up tossing the shuttlecock back and forth over the net with ease. We go against another pair, moving up the courts when we lose and down the courts if we lose—we don't because we're the best.

At the end of the lesson, we help everyone pack everything and Coach tells us that next week, we're going to be theory work, so we don't need to bring our kit.

"You played good today," Brad says, accompanying me to the changing rooms. "I didn't think you'd be able to play badminton."

"I love badminton!" I assure him. "It's so easy."

We reach the changing rooms and he turns to me with a grin, "I'll see you after, Okay? We can walk to class together."

I nod, a small smile on my face. It's nice having a friend again.

+

I duck past Brad and he spots me heading straight for the exit. He turns and follows straight behind me, already catching up within a few strides.

"You think I'm going to let you run off that easily?" Brad tuts as he links his arm around mine. I sigh in defeat. "You still need to open your present and card from me."

"I really do feel bad that you've got me something," I tell him again. "Are you sure you even want me to over? It's Friday, you should go to a party or something."