fifty four

The weekend went by so slowly. I barely ate, moved or slept. I just laid in bed and looked up at my ceiling, contemplating everything I'd ever done.

My dad didn't question why I was so sullen and decided to bring up food and drinks for me, which I thanked him for. He made me promise him that I'd be going to school on Monday.

Which leaves me staring at myself, stood in my bathroom and facing the mirror. I looked terrible, my hair was greasy from not showering so I had to throw it into a ponytail and hope for the best, my outfit was jeans and a baggy shirt and the bags under my eyes were enough to carry my school books for me.

I sigh, brushing my teeth quickly before walking downstairs. My dad insisted on taking me to school, probably to reassure himself that I actually went in.

"You ready?" My dad asks and I nod, putting on some trainers and putting my bag over my shoulder before we go down to his car.

I know Brad won't be at school, just like he wasn't when I was ignoring him when I figured he was in the gang. He'd rather avoid everything than face it, but I think that's better for us both considering the events that have happened recently.

When I arrive at school, I thank my dad and walk in, keeping my head down and the hood of my hoodie up, covering up my face. I just wanted to feel invisible today.

I wait outside of my tutor classroom since the teacher isn't there, playing music through my earphones. I have a habit of listening to sad music when I'm sad which doesn't help me feel any better at all.

"Hey, Jamie," I hear someone's voice say and I look up to one of Cherry's friends, Frankie. I give her a forced smile back. I'm not particularly fond of Frankie, she's a bit passive aggressive sometimes.

"Hey, Frankie. What's up?"

"You just looked really depressed so I thought I'd say hi," she says, a fake smile on her face too. "I also didn't see you come into school with Brad today, how come?"

"It's complicated."

She purses her lips, narrowing her eyes at me before nodding. "Okay, cool. I'll see you later maybe? Bye."

She gives me a small wave of her fingers before strutting away, leaving me alone again in the hallway.

I roll my eyes, she didn't make it a secret that she's obsessed with Brad. Whenever I'm with her, she'll try and talk to me about Brad. Right now probably wasn't the best time to speak about him because I'll just be reminded of Friday night and the hurt on his face.

With a sigh, I tear my eyes from the corner she turned and look ahead to see a boy from my year group looking straight at me. I frown, tilting my head. Why is he looking at me?

As soon as he notices I've caught him staring, he turns away and talks to his friend that's on the other side of him. For some reason, I recognise them both but I don't know from where.

I narrow my eyes suspiciously before spotting my teacher smiling my way as she comes to let me in for tutor.

+

I sit in the library, scanning over a book absentmindedly to pass time. I was revising over some more social studies stuff for my final mock for it today.

I could barely concentrate for two reasons. The first was that I couldn't get Brad out of my head, and how much I've regretted the past two weeks. I wish he was here with me, making me laugh and smile and roll my eyes at him. I miss him so much, I wonder if he feels the same.

The second reason I couldn't concentrate well is that I felt like I was being watched but whenever I look around, I just look paranoid when no one is staring at me. I always frown and lean back against my chair.

I've contemplated messaging Brad and asking to meet him but he's probably still really annoyed at me for everything that's happened and I want him to calm down first, but I do want him to know why I chose the decision.

I sigh, putting my book down and closing it up before pulling out my phone. I regret it as soon as I see that the lock screen is a picture of Brad and I from one of the many times we went to our to town together to shop.

We were sat next to each other in the Bullring shopping centre, smiles on our faces as he took the picture on his phone. We had a hearts filter on and while I look disgusting, he looked amazing in the picture. That was the day that Brad first told me that I looked beautiful, and it was because of the picture.

I remember bullying him until he sent it to me because I wanted to put it as my lock screen but he kept shaking his head and refusing because he wanted to 'keep it to himself'. It took lots of persuading and playful fights before he finally sent it to me.

Smiling, I lock my phone and look up, landing on a pair of blue eyes. It was the boy from the corridor this morning and he wasn't being discreet as he looks straight at me. Just like before, he turns away and looks down at a book.

I sigh, putting away the books I had gotten out before putting my bag and going over to him. He quickly slams his book shut and gets ready to leave but I slam my hand down on the table.

"Why the hell do you keep staring at me?" I ask sharply, getting straight to the point. He doesn't answer, only purses his lips and I narrow my eyes at him.

"I've been told to," he says after a moment of silence passes which caused him to receive a glare off of me. "By my boss."

I roll my eyes, the possibilities of who it could be is very minor. "You mean Aiden?"

"Yes," he nods. "He told me to make sure no one starts picking on you or anything, and that if they do I have to tell him who they are."

"That sly son of a bitch," I mumble, standing up and leaving him at the table. As I walk quickly out of the library, I unlock my phone and find Aiden's contact, clicking the call button.

"Jamie? What's up?" Aiden's voice rings through after the second ring. "Is everything okay?"

"You better tell all of your bum buddies to stop 'looking out for me' at school, Aiden," I say bluntly. "Because I'm eighteen, not four, I don't need to be treated like a child."

I hear him sigh down the phone. "Jamie, I just wanted to make sure you're safe. With me not there to make sure of that, nor Brad—,"

"Brad isn't here to 'protect me' because you put me in a situation where I lost him!" I whisper-yell down the phone.

I was walking out of school, even though it's barely the end of lunch time and I have two classes left for the day. I just couldn't be dealing with interacting with people today.

"Stop treating me like a baby, Aiden," I say. "I'm not fifteen anymore, I can handle myself. I did it for three years without anyone's help."

"Okay, Jamie," he says calmly down the phone. "I'll call them off. But if I end up hearing about any bullying that revolves around you from school, then I'll intervene."

I let out a groan. "You're not my dad! You don't need to worry about me."

"I am your fiancé, though," Aiden says. "I have to worry about you."

edited.