thirty six

I woke up after Brad the following morning and my head was aching from my sleep—well, lack thereof. I had barely slept for seven hours.

Brad wasn't laid beside me when I woke up so I can only assume that he was downstairs. I grab my jumper out of my bag and put it on before walking downstairs. My feet were cold against the laminate floor.

The house had been cleaned since I saw it last night and I assume the boys were all cleaning it up while I slept. I felt bad because I said to them that I would help them out.

"It's on Friday, Brad," I hear Connor say as I near the kitchen. "What do you mean you've not got a suit?"

"I haven't had chance," Brad replies back with a sigh. He sounded so tired.

"Too busy fawning over J—," Tristan begins.

"Shut up," Brad scowls and I make my way through the door. All four boys were in the kitchen and they smile at me quickly, secretly hoping that I didn't hear what Tristan was about to say. I pretend I didn't.

"Hey guys," I say, yawning. "What were you guys talking about? I heard something about this Friday?"

"The dinner the boss is holding," Brad explains and I remember quickly. He told me about that the day he had the meeting about it. "I haven't got a suit and Connor is giving me shit for it."

"You've had a month to plan for it," I side with Connor. "You should have a suit."

He rolls his eyes at me. "You two are acting like my fucking parents, bloody hell. I'll be fine, I've got today and tomorrow to get a suit."

"I'll help you if you want?" I suggest and he nods before turning his back and pouring himself a cup of tea. He didn't have a shirt on, and his broad back was so muscular. I tear my gaze off of him, pursing my lips.

"Could you reach into that cupboard and get me some aspirin, Jamie?" James asks, his face in his hands. "I've got a terrible fucking headache."

"Sure," I say, reaching into the cupboard and grabbing the box full of medicine. I hand it over to him and he thanks me.

Tristan tuts. "Every time, James. We tell you not to get drunk and what do you do? Get white-boy smashed."

"Shut the fuck up," James growls. My eyes flicker from the two bickering boys to Connor who was stood on his phone texting someone, before I inevitably end up looking towards Brad who was stirring the milk in his tea.

Brad turns around and I divert my eyes elsewhere so he doesn't know I've been staring. "I'm gonna get my suit today, then. You boys have your suit?"

"Yeah," Connor says, and I look over to the boy who was leaning against the side. "We got ours when we got invited."

"Why wasn't I invited to go with you guys?"

"You were too busy with Jamie."

"Not my fault she's better company than you fuckers," Brad says and I giggle quietly at that. He seems to be the only one that heard. "Jamie, are you free on Friday?"

I shoot my head up and look at him, "yeah. Why?"

"Great, you're coming to the dinner with me," Brad concludes. "It's at our boss' house but I'll take you anyway. We can get you something to wear for it today."

The boss' house—as in the gang leader. I could be meeting the man that controls the biggest gang in the UK! What if he tries to kill me or something? Don't be ridiculous, Brad wouldn't let that happen.

"Okay, sure."

+

I wait for Brad to change into his newly-tailored suit. We'd already gotten me a new dress—I paid for it since I refused for Brad to buy me another one.

"Are you ready?" Brad calls over the curtain to his changing stall. He'd cheered up a bit since we'd left the house, I still don't know why he was in a bad mood.

"Yeah," I reply back. He opens the curtain and does a pose like a model would on the runway.

"How do I look?"

"You look great," I smile. His suit was black and the shirt was white, and he had a black bow tie to complete the look.

"You think?" He asks, running his hands over his blazer with uncertainty. "I'm not really a fan of suits."

"You pull it off nicely," I assure him and he smiles at me. "Are you going to get it?"

"I think I am," he nods. "I'll be out in a second, try not to miss me while I change."

"I'll try," I joke back with him and he disappears moments later. I look at the time on my phone while I wait and I realise we've been out for almost three hours.

Whenever I'm with Brad, I always feel like time passes by faster because I enjoy myself more. I could've finished shopping ages ago but we were too busy joking around with each other so it took longer, not that I minded.

Once Brad has paid for his suit, we make our way to his car which is at the car park.

"I know I asked you last minute but I'm glad you can come on Friday," Brad says truthfully. "It would've been boring without you, I'm sure."

"It's fine," I assure him, a smile tugging on my face. "I'm always up for hanging out with you, even if it's at a dangerous gang dinner party."

Brad chuckles at my words. "It's not going to be dangerous, I promise you. The worst thing that I'd let happen to you is that you get food poisoning, but even my boss wouldn't let us eat food that could make us ill."

I purse my lips at the sound of his boss. "Have I got to meet your boss?"

"You'll see him around," Brad shrugs as he opens up a door for me and I smile as a thank you. "But I wouldn't imagine you'd have to meet him. He'll be busy making business deals anyway."

I nod at that and we reach his car. I climb into the passenger seat after I'd helped Brad put all of our bags into the boot.

"Your place?" Brad asks and I nod. My dad was at work today since I told him I'd be out, and I won't get chance to see him until the weekend now.

The drive is pretty uneventful as we go to my house and when we arrive, Brad helps sort out which bags are mine and which are his.

"Are you coming in?" I ask once we've figured out which ones I'm taking inside.

He shakes his head. "I'm still tired from last night, I think I'm gonna catch up on some sleep ready for Friday."

"So that's why you were in a bad mood this morning," I joke with him and he rolls his eyes playfully. "You were tired."

"I guess," he mumbles. "It's whatever, I'm fine now." I smile and wrap my arms around his shoulders, embracing him into a hug. He doesn't take more than a couple of seconds to wrap his arms around my waist and hold me close to him, resting his head in the crook of my neck.

"I'll see you Friday?" I say, not pulling away just yet. I enjoyed being in Brad's embrace—it was comforting, calm; even though my heart sped at stupid rates every time. I don't really know why that is.

"Of course," he promises, shifting his head to look me in the eyes. Both of our arms loosen around each other. "I'll message you later, too."

"Okay," I smile and he smiles back before we let go of each other and I take ahold of my bags. "I'll see you later, alligator."

"In a while, crocodile."

edited.