forty six

"Me. You. Party. Tonight," Brad says as I finish eating my lunch. He had gone upstairs to change out of his pyjamas—by change out of, I mean put on a shirt and a different pair of trousers because he decided to sleep in just some joggers last night. I don't think I minded, though.

"What?" I ask, though I heard him clearly.

"Well, we've revised enough," he says. I give him an unsure look since we only revised for three hours this morning. "So we should party tonight and revise more tomorrow."

"We don't have a great track record of parties," I inform him, recalling every party I've been to. I think the only one I possibly enjoyed was the party where Brad and I officially became friends.

"Well, we can change that," he says, looking at me with hopeful eyes. "We haven't been to one in ages."

"The last party we went to sucked," I frown at the thought. "I don't think a party tonight will be any better than any other party we've been to before. I'd prefer to just stay here and watch films or something."

"We did that last night," Brad whines and takes my empty hand, lifting me off of the stool so that I'm stood in front of him. "Please don't make me beg you to let us go."

I roll my eyes with a small smile. He manages to look so cute even when he's being so annoying.

He bends down on one knee, his soft hand gripping mine. "Jamie Lopez, will you do the absolute honour of joining me at a party tonight?"

I open my mouth to reply but my dad walks in through the door. He stops dead in his tracks for a moment, taking in what was going on, and obviously getting the wrong idea.

I freeze, looking over to him. Brad does the same, tensing up and I feel his hand squeeze mine. Was my dad going to get suspicious?

My dad chuckles, taking us both by surprise. "You sure you wanna ask her to marry you, mate? She's a pain in the arse to live with, especially when she's on her period."

I look over to Brad and he lets out a small sigh of relief before he stands up, chuckling. "Don't worry, I'm just begging her to come to a party with me tonight. Not marrying her yet."

Yet. My heart does a whole gymnastic routine for a moment.

"You should go," my dad says, turning to me and I purse my lips. "Enjoy yourselves—well, not too much—but have fun. I don't see why you shouldn't go to a party."

"I've got your dad's approval, you basically have to go now," Brad says, turning to me. I grab my empty plate that I was eating from and take put it in the dishwasher.

"Fine," I give in way too easily. "Only because you'll annoy me about it otherwise."

+

"You ready?" Brad says, peeking his head through the door into my room.

"It's a good job I am," I say, grabbing a thin jacket to wear just to put my phone in. "Is it time to go?"

"Yeah," Brad says, opening up the door properly. He had gone home to get some 'party-appropriate' clothes to wear and he looked so good.

I never really took in Brad's fashion sense since I'm so used to it. But recently I've noticed how he's wearing trousers that suit him so well, and he was wearing some black ones with thin white lines on them, as well as a white shirt. He managed to make a simple look, look perfect.

I wore some high-waist skinny jeans and a baby pink shirt as well as some trainers. I must look like crap next to him.

He wraps his arms around my shoulders as I approach my door and I do the same around his torso. For some reason I missed him loads even though he was gone for two hours.