fifty one

His shoulders drop in relief and he gently takes my left hand before putting the ring on my fourth finger. I look at it in shame.

"I'm forever in your debt," Aiden says honestly and I know damn well that he is. I want to tear up just at the thought of marrying someone that isn't Brad.

It's not that I hate Aiden, I don't entirely. Aiden is attractive, charming, kind—everything someone wants in a husband—but we just aren't the right puzzle pieces that are meant to go together. I feel like I've been melted into a new shape so that this will work for everyone else's sake.

I take my hand out of his hold, ripping my eyes off of the ring and up to his face. "I have only two requests for this to go through."

"Of course."

"Firstly, I want to finish sixth form before we start planning anything," I say. He nods slowly. "I finish at the end of May, so it's only a few months anyway. I just want to finish school before I get forced into all of this."

"That's fine," Aiden promises me. "Education is important. You can always start uni after, too." I probably won't, I'll most likely be married by then.

"My second request is that I tell Brad how I want," I say firmly. "I don't know how yet, but I want him to be let down slowly, and by me. I hope you know this will break him."

He nods. "I know that Brad and yourself had a very close relationship and I'm sorry that it has to end because of me. I know he'll understand."

"He'll hate us both," I sigh out. "I hope you know that."

He notices I look distressed and steps closer to me, wrapping his arms around me to comfort me. Despite how strange it felt, I repeat his actions, resting my head on his chest.

"There's a meeting after the dinner between myself and the other gang leader and our inner circles," Aiden says. "I'll announce it then, he'll be there. I'll try my best to avoid names, I promise."

"Thank you," I say honestly. I'm going to have to try and tell Brad between now and the end of the dinner everything that is going on. "How long does that leave me between now and the meeting?"

"Dinner starts in ten minutes," Aiden says. "I'm not sure how long it will take, but you'll know when it's time."

I nod. "Okay. I best go and find Brad, then."

+

I couldn't find Brad. No matter where I looked, I couldn't find him. James told me that he went somewhere with Tristan, and that I didn't need to worry.

"Not worry? Do you know what happened last time he was left at a stupid dinner party?" I snap at James. I was frustrated and angry at myself and I was lashing out on people around me.

"It's okay, Jamie," James attempts to assure me. "He's with Tristan, I promise. We can try and find him if you want?"

"Obviously," I mutter out, running my hand through my hair stressfully. I need to tell Brad and I had five minutes left to find him.

James reaches for my hand and I quickly retract it as his fingers brush against the ring. He frowns quickly, looking at my hand before realising.

"Is that—?"

"An engagement ring? Yes," I hear Aiden say from behind me. James purses his lips, standing up straight. "Is everything okay here?"

"Yes, boss," James says and Aiden nods slowly before looking down at me. He flashes me a small smile.

"I'll see you in a moment, Jamie," he says. "Let me know when you've told them." His eyes flicker up to James and I know he's expecting me to tell my friend about the deal I've made.