Can we talk?

Scott left a few hours later after their little "reading hangout" that really turned into a game that let the other know more about each other and themselves

Now the shy girl was laid on her bed, still trying to figure out how a guy she had just met, managed to be the sweetest guy she has ever met. However, she also knew she shouldn't get ahead of herself. After all, he was just her really attractive neighbor, somewhat friend, and classmate.

Nothing to get riled up about...right?

"Maya! I'm home!" Arlette yelled to her dazed daughter.

Mother was home? But since her mother was an Orthopedic Surgeon she doesn't usually get home till 7 or later. Maya glanced her clock.

7:30. Wait. Wait just a second. School let out at 3:55 and Scott came over at about 4:10 and he left at 7:00.

Oh my God. That means Scott was over here for over 2 hours!

"I didn't realize we were playing the game that long," Maya said aloud.

"MAYA," her mother yelled again.

"Coming," Maya said and rushed down the stairs.

When she got down stairs, Mrs. Johnson was taking food out of a bag that looked like Chinese takeout.

"What were you doing? I called you like 5 times," her mother exclaimed getting plates out.

It was only twice. Maya thought but she knew she was not going to say that out loud.

"Sorry I fell asleep."

"Oh. Well, how was school. Did you talk to that young man next door?"

"Uh..yeah he actually came over," Maya said quickly getting some Shrimp fried Rice. She looked at her mother, to see her already looking at her.

"Did he," Arlette said with a slight smirk. "How come?"

"We..uh had to..read a couple chapters for our book in English," Maya said looking suddenly entranced with her food.

"Hmm." Her mother said almost sounding disappointed.

"Anyway, how was work?" The teenager said turning the questions unto her mother.

"It was okay. A lot of patients and a lot of surgeries. But I swear some of the people that I work with get on my last everlasting nerve. Some of those doctors think that they're above me or something they can just get so arrogant."

This wasn't a new thing for Maya's mother to be complaining about her fellow coworkers. It was true, some doctors think they're some type of God and Arlette, well she was the opposite of that. She was just grateful that she did well in school, got a full ride to Harvard for Medical school, and being successful at her dream job. And Arlette wanted more than anything for her daughter to have the same success and more.

"I'm sorry mom. Well at least you know you're not like them. And, you probably bring in way more patients than they do," Maya said smiling trying to cheer up her mother.

Arlette looked at her daughter with pure inspiration and love. "I love you, sweetheart." She said putting her hand on her cheek.

Maya put her on top of her mothers. "I love you more."

^^^^

The next day Maya walked through the crowded hallways of her high school. Maya was a Junior now, and she couldn't wait to go to college.

Most people are her age have made a lot of friends, went to Homecoming or are going to Prom, and want to make the most memories they can until Senior year.

Maya wasn't like them. People who fit in, teenagers who were sociable and could easily make friends and romantic partners. But no, not Maya Johnson.

And, Maya didn't have a problem with that. And hey, she had a friend. With no plural. On the other hand, Maya didn't try to make friends. When, she applies and gets accepted into Harvard there won't be many of her "friends" with her. And Johnson was okay with that. Lonely, but satisfied.

"Hey! Maya," A sudden voice called from behind her.

She turned around and saw Scott Miller slightly jogging to catch up with her. Miller eventually became caught up with her and the two walked step by step with each other.

Which did not go unnoticed by Johnson and Miller. They shyly glanced at each other and looked right back down. The two neighbors started to sport a light blush.

"Uh how are you?" Scott asked Maya.

"I'm g-good. How are you?"

"I'm alright, I guess. Hey are you doing anything this weekend?"

Weekend? Oh it is Friday. Maya thought.

"N-no, I don't think so. Why?"

"Well," Miller took a deep breath. "My parents wanted me to ask you and your family if you wanted to come to our house for dinner tomorrow evening," Scott questioned looking at the girl who has taken up most of his thoughts.

Maya though about his proposal. She didn't find anything wrong about it.

"Yeah, I think we could do that. Thanks for the invite. I just have to ask my mom," Maya said smiling at Scott.

Scott grinned widely. "Ok! That's great. Just let me know. Did you maybe...want my number?"

^^^

A/N
Hello all!! I'm so sorry it's taken me a while to update but I just had to because you guys got this book to #6 for the tag #blackgirlwhiteguy and I can't thank you guys enough!!! I really appreciate it!! So keep on reading and I'll try to keep updating. Also, I know this chapter was a bit boring so it was mainly a filler but you also really got to see more of Maya's personality and how she is at school and she's a little lonely. Maybe a certain guy can change that😏 alright that's enough me being extra...See you guys in the next update!!