The Chosen One

September 1st 1996

There were many fantastical and magical aspects to Hogwarts Castle that astounded first years on their first evening. The Enchanted Ceiling that was bewitched to reflect the sky outside. The abundance of ghosts perusing the halls and walking through walls. The Grand Staircase that constantly moved and shifted. But what shocked students more than ever, was the gargantuan mountains of food that covered the tables. Feasts truly fit for kings.

For Gryffindor first year Esme Williams, it was so much food she didn't know where to start! The students around her delved into conversation about the magic they would learn at Hogwarts. All of which was going straight over her head since Esme had grown up in the Muggle world. Thankfully she befriended Helena Brown on the train who seemed to understand what was happening to an extent.

"Is that who I think it is?!" Helena suddenly said with wide eyes perusing a passing sixth year. She gasped, her hand going straight to her chest. "Merlin's beard it is!"

"Who is it?" Esme asked as she tried to look at the girl without appearing obvious.

"It's Harper Potter," Helena said and leant closer, her voice shrinking to a whisper. "The girl who lived."

Esme turned to look at the girl sitting further down the table. "How do you know?" She asked.

"It's faded, but look closely. The scar on her forehead." Helena instructed.

Esme squinted, her eyesight doing it's best to see such a tiny indication. Sure enough, she saw the faded lightning bolt scar on her forehead. Half hidden by a light layer of makeup and wisps of her copper-brown locks.

"And did you hear?" Another first year spoke.

Esme looked to see a darker boy with a mischievous smirk painted upon his face.

"They're saying she's 'the Chosen One,'" he revealed.

By the way people reacted around him, the title was clearly important. Once again, Esme was completely out of the loop, wondering what that would mean.

Helena saw the bewildered expression taking her new friend and decided to clarify.

"It's just a silly rumour," she started. "But a lot of people believe she will be the one to defeat He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named once and for all."

Esme redirected her eyes back to the sixth year girl. She seemed rather ordinary at first glance. With dark-ginger hair that fell down her back in layered waves and glistening skin that received some colour from the English summer. Though it was her deep emerald eyes that finally struck the first year Gryffindor. A lifetime's worth of memories swirling in those green orbs. Then soon, Esme found herself staring straight into them.

She gasped, realising Harper Potter was now looking straight back at her.

⋄⋄⋄

"Harper?" Hermione's voice sang into her ear.

She rose a brow and turned to her friend. "Sorry, what did you say?" She flashed an apologetic smile.

Hermione rolled her nutmeg eyes. "I said, Hagrid is waving at you," she repeated with a chiding edge.

Harper looked over to the staff table and indeed, Hagrid was waving enthusiastically at her. She pulled her lips into a dimple-worthy smile and waved back. She always appreciated the warmth Hagrid provided ever since she had met him. It was years now since the gamekeeper showed up at the Dursley's to change her life. He may have been a bit rough around the edges, but she loved him like an uncle all the same.