Giving It A Shot

I felt like I was on top of the world as Jaxon and I walked hand in hand to Miles' territory. We had talked a little longer and I had decided that I would take the chance at being hurt to be with him, now. He was my mate after all.

'I told you so.' Kate sang in a sing-song voice. I laughed to myself. I knew she was right.

"What's her name?" Jaxon asked, suddenly.

I glanced at him confused. "Who, idiot?"

He scowled, "Your wolf, idiot." He said, mockingly.

"Oh," I said nodding, "Kate. What's yours?"

"Justin."

"Well I think you need to learn how to keep Justin in check, because his temper is really bad." I said, matter-of-factly.

Jaxon scowled, "I know." Then he turned to me, "What's goin' on with you and Salem?" He asked sneering when he said Salem's name.

"We're just friends."

"Are you sure?"

I frowned, "Of course, I'm sure. Why?"

"Because, you're always with him and it seemed like you were dating or something." He said with a shrug.

I shake my head, "No, just friends. I'm positive." Then a question pops into my head. "What's goin' on with you and Grace?" I ask.

He shook his head. "Nothing, we were just friends with benefits. No emotions, just sex."

I glared at him, "It's nice to know."

"You asked." He replied. "So are you a virgin?"

I froze. Jaxon stopped too, looking at me worriedly. I really didn't want to tell him about it nor think about it. I was a virgin. Sorta. In the willing term. I probably wouldn't be a virgin now anyway. Micheal would have took that if I hadn't been raped, but afterwards, I was scared to have sex. That's why Micheal and I never did it and also why he cheated, because I wouldn't have sex with him. I was scared. Sex is the main reason I want to hold off the mating process. I really don't want to go into heat when he marks me because all I'm going to do is crave sex and I really don't want that.

"Kandice? What's wrong? Are you okay?" Jaxon asked, concerned. I look up at him and nod. He frowned and stepped closer, taking one hand in his and slipping the other around my waist. "You're lying. Please don't lie to me. What's wrong?"

I sighed, "I'm fine, Jaxon. Really."

"Kandice-"

"Jaxon, please." I said interrupting him, "I really don't wanna talk about it. Can you just drop it?"

He stared at me, searching my features. "You will tell me, eventually." He said in a stern voice. I nodded, not wanting to argue.

He sighed, leaning forward and kissing my head, his lips lingering. I close my eyes at the wonderful feeling. I sighed leaning into him, letting him hold me up. It's funny how now I feel like I can't live without him, when only an hour ago I didn't even want to be with him.

'That's how a mate is supposed to make you feel. Complete.' Kate said, content with having her mate in her life.

I smiled. 'Yeah whatever. You told me so, I know.'

'Yeah so you should listen to me more often.'

It was nice having Kate back, even if she was annoying. It seemed like she just went dormant when our parents died. Having her back reminded me a lot of back home in Minnesota. I loved my pack, but all of it felt like little compared to now, being in Jaxon's arms. I know it might seem like a bad thing to say, but it was true. He was my mate and I needed him no matter what I said. I would never get another, there's no such thing as a second chance mate and if Jaxon died, I would die with him.