Letter

Walking up to the pack house, I could hear a loud commotion inside. I sped up, wanting to know what was going on and not wanting to be outside alone. I heard people yelling, "She's missing!" "How did they get her?" "What do they want?" "Who is he?"

I opened the door and stepped inside. It was louder in here and I could hear a lot of wolves, not just from our pack either. Miles?

"What's goin' on?" I asked, over all the noise. There were wolves everywhere as I walked further into the house, sliding through them. Everyone turned to me and relief crossed all their faces.

"Kandice?!" Someone screamed and engulfed me in a hug.

Maria.

I hugged her back, still soaking wet and kinda a little shocked. What was going on? I pulled back and looked at her. She was crying. I was worried instantly. I had never seen her even close to crying before. She was too strong for that.

"What's wrong, Booh?"

She pulled me back to her, putting her face in my neck. "I thought you were dead or something. Where've you been? We've been worried sick. We looked everywhere."

Now, I felt horrible. They had worried themselves with looking for me, when I wasn't even lost. "I'm sorry. I went to see... my parents."

She nodded in understanding. "Okay." But she still looked worried, or guilty?

"Maria, what is going on?" I asked her. She was hinding something. She opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted by someone rushing into the room.

"Kandice?! Are you alright? Where were you?" He asked pulling me into a hug away from Maria. He was wet, too. He must have still been out looking for me.

"I'm fine, Jaxon." I told him, honestly. "I went to see my parents."

He sighed pulling back. "Kandice, don't do that, okay?!" I frowned, confused. He didn't want me to go see my parents? He shook his head, before I even say anything. "I mean leave without telling anyone. We thought they-"

He broke himself off and I looked at him questioningly. What was he about to say? They who?

"What?" I asked looking around at everyone. No one said anything and I was starting to get anxious. This must be bad? "Jaxon." I stated, turning back to him.

He swallowed, "It's no-"

"Jaxon, I'm serious. If you don't-"

"Alright." He said interrupting me like I did him. "We got a letter today. It was for you, actually. I... Maybe you should read it yourself."

He lightly placed a piece of paper in my hands. I looked up at him again, he nodded to the letter and I slowly opened it. There was only one sentence and it wasn't very pleasing. Well I was relieved with some, but horrified with the rest.

It read:

Kandice,

We have your brother and if I don't have you soon... he's dead.

There wasn't anything else. I was so glad my brother was alive, but was so scared he was hurt. He would be soon though, if I didn't find him. And from the scent on the note, the people that have him are rouges.

"No." I started to cry again, for the third time today. Who were they? Why did they want me? What were they doing to my brother? Had they already hurt him? How was I going to help him? Was that them chasing me tonight? Were they watching me? How did they get my brother? Were they the same people who attacked us?

I wiped my eyes and walked away, pushing through people to get to the back door.

"Kandice? Where are you going?" Jaxon asked following close behind me. I didn't answer, just kept pushing. Someone asked Jaxon did he need help, but he declined, saying he would talk to me.