Enlightened

Kandice's POV

I could barely breathe, now. Salem finally stopped torturing me. Now he was torturing other people. I couldn't watch and not say something about it. I kept screaming at him to stop, but he just ignored me and continued jabbing people. I hated it, knowing that I couldn't help them. Salem looked over at me and grinned slowly making his way back down to me. I was relieved he had stopped, not that I was about to take the pain for them though, but I would be brave and suck it up. I watched as he neared my cell, but then quickly veered off, toward Rachel.

"Salem, no don't!" I screeched running up to the bars.

Salem paused and looked at me over his shoulder. "Good to see you have your strength back."

"Do me."

"Do you?" He asked amused.

Funny how he could joke around at a moment like this. "Salem, she's just a little girl. Don't do this to her."

Salem sighed and walked over to me. He kneeled down, twirling the rod in his hand which was still very hot. "You want me to torture you?"

I nodded at him, not replying. He sighed an okay and lifted the rod. I squeezed my eyes tightly shut.

*I Love You, Kandice and our baby. I'm gonna find you, I'm gonna save you.*

Jaxon? My eyes snapped open right as the rod was about to touch my skin.

"SALEM!"

Salem paused, "That's my father. I'll be right back. Don't go anywhere."

He chuckled before disappearing up the stairs.

*Jaxon.*

I waited to get a reply, but didn't get any. I groaned and looked around. Everyone looked tired and... beaten.

"Um, hi?"

A woman in her late 30's looked over at me. Her eyes were an intense green and she already had wrinkles. Her face looked sunken in and her skin was tight on her high cheekbones. Her arms were so skinny they looked like broom sticks. Her blonde hair was long in some places and short in others and it was dirty and greasy.

"Hi." Her voice was raspy.

"What's your name?" I asked.

"Pinny."

"How long have you been here, Pinny?"

Her chapped lips shook as she smiled at me. "I don't know. What year is it?"

"2012."

She sighed, "About seven years now, I guess."

My hope dimmed profoundly. How was I gonna get out of here? Some of these people had spend a majority of their lives in here and they never got away. I didn't want that. I didn't want my baby to be born in a place like this. I wouldn't let my baby be born here, there was just no way. I was gonna get out of here. Jaxon was gonna find me; he had to.

"Has anybody ever escaped?" I asked.

"No, but people have tried and they paid the price." A man said.

"How many of you are there in here?" I asked.

"Well, you make the eighth."

"How many more white wolves are there?" I asked.

The woman across from me shook her head. "You make the last and from what Drake says you're very special."

"Who's Drake?" I asked.

"He's Salem's dad." Another man said.

"How am I special?" I asked confused.

"We don't know." Pinny answered. "We know you're very powerful, like the rest of us, but recently he's been calling you special."

"That's because she is special." Someone said in a booming voice.

I looked to the stairs. There was a man walking down toward us. As he got closer, I could see all his features. He was tall with black hair. He was buff and his eyes were brown. He looked sort of familiar. Really familiar.

"Hello, Kandice." He said in his deep, gruff voice.

"Who are you?" I asked.

He grinned. "I'm Drake. Haven't you heard about me?"

I frowned, "Not that I know of. Should I have?"

"Of course, you should have. Did your parents not talk about me?" He asked with a slick look on his face as he grinned down at me.

I froze. How did he know my parents? What did he know about them? Why would they have to tell me about him? "How do you know my parents?"

"Well, they killed my mate." He answer with darkened eyes.

What? My parents would never kill anyone, not without reason. "You're lying. Why would my parents kill your mate?"

He sighed. "Well, to protect their kids and their pack."

"Why would they need to do that?" I asked.

He laughed, "Oh, Kandice. You're so clueless. Let me enlighten you, shall I? I found the Pierce White Diamond about say 10 years ago in this very spot buried under the ground. I was here with my little brother, playing around. He was off a little ways and I smelled something weird so I started digging and there was the necklace. I took it and we left. I had heard legends about it so I tried somethings out after I got kicked out of my pack by my father. And guest what you were one of the first wolves the necklace led me to. My army wasn't too big at the time so when we tried to seize you, we failed. Your pack found our hide out and attacked us. My mate was one of the first to die and it was your mother who killed her. After that, I made my army stronger. I took females from their packs and breed them. We always had people around your territory keeping watch. We could of had you one day if that kid Micheal or whatever didn't show up. But anyway, you wanna know how I knew your parents? Ha ha, I was the one who killed them when we attacked your pack." I was shocked. There was nothing I could think to say. "They both died slow and painful deaths, just to let you know."

I didn't know what to think. It was all too much to process, but I guess somethings clicked now. How the adults were all so secretive. I knew my pack would do anything to protect one of their own, so I don't know why I was so surprised they had attacked the rouges. Some nights I would wake up to find that my parents were gone. We always had training no matter what. If it rained, snowed, hailed, it didn't matter, we had to train. They were being cautious.

Drake cleared his throat bringing my attention back to him. "That's not the only reason you're so special though." He walked closer to the cell and kneeled down smiling at me. "It's because my brother is your mate. I haven't seen Jaxon since I was kicked out of the pack."

There was no way. He couldn't be Jaxon's brother. No way, I kept repeating, but I knew it was true they looked too much alike. That's why he was so familiar. That would make Salem, Jaxon's nephew.

This was not looking good for me.