Waking Up

"Hey there, little one. You lost?"

I sat up, clutching my aching head. It all came rushing back.
"No, but - my grandpa - is he alright?"

The six women looking down at me shared a glance.
"Sorry, kid," said one. "No survivors apart from you." It took me a moment to realise she was green.

Green! It was She-Hulk! Jennifer Walters! I looked around: Captain Marvel, Singularity, She-Hulk, Dazzler, Medusa, and Sister Grimm (Nico Minoru). The A-Force! The all female Avengers. Okay, I lied. These were some awesome supers I could handle.

"What happened?" I asked, trying to stand up. She-Hulk's massive arm grabbed me by the shoulder and pulled me to my feet.
"A comet crashed into Wetherbloom Apartments," Miss Walters explained. "The radiation killed everybody else. Why did you survive?"
"Wait," I said, backtracking. "Were the Avengers called in because of me?"
"The A-Force," Medusa corrected coldly. "But yes." She turned to Miss Walters and Captain Danvers. "Seems we were mistaken. Come on, guys. This was a wasted trip."

Miss Walters carefully set me up on my feet and shrugged.
"Sorry, kid. Where she's from, she's a queen. Gets a bit tetchy."
"Ok." I said flatly, and looked around. Fire crews and ambulances were milling about, and nobody was paying me any attention.

Everyone who lives in Wetherbloom Apartments is dead. Everybody I know is dead. So is my grandpa. My guardian is dead. Again. I felt like fainting, falling down to the ground.

Which is exactly what I did. I hit the floor hard and a huge shower of sparks echoed through the air. I heard shouts, then ringing, then passed out again.