Training Begins

The next morning, I woke up at nine o'clock. This weird blue girl who looked like the night sky was hovering by my bed. Singularity. She was the first thing I saw when I woke up, and it was seriously freaky.

"Hi."
"Hello, Miss Roling," Singularity said curiously. She looked and sounded like a ten-year-old girl (apart from the night sky bit).
"Hi. Um..."
"My friends are waiting for you in the training arena," she smiled, and drifted away.

Confused, I got up and got dressed in what I hoped was appropriate workout gear: a blue tank top, navy shorts, and black trainers. God, I hoped I wasn't embarrassing myself.

I left my room and walked down what must have been miles of corridor until I found a door labelled 'TRAINING'. I pushed it open and the sight inside was amazing: Singularity was sparring with Dazzler in a boxing ring, Sister Grimm was watching on, amused, Captain Marvel was lifting weights bigger than my head, Medusa was swinging from rafters using her massive hair, and She-Hulk was skipping faster than I could see.

"Roling," Captain Marvel said, and put down her weights to approach me. Her voice was booming. "Follow me."

I followed her to the back of the room, ignoring the grunts, bashes and blasts coming from behind us. She led me a to a battered training dummy.
"Hit that with a photonic blast," she ordered.

I felt stupid but raised my hands so that they were facing the dummy. I focused so hard, tensing my palms and staring and staring at the target, but it wouldn't come.
"Like this," Miss Danvers said, not unkindly. She shot the dummy straight it the chest with a simple raise of her hand. I imitated her motion and heat rushed down my arms and shot out of my palm, causing a great flash and singeing the dummy.

Captain Marvel laughed.
"You were concentrating too hard, kid," she smiled. "Just do it."

She then turned to me and told me to take my shoes and socks off so that I was barefoot.
"Right, flying," she said. "We don't know if you can do this, but you need to try. Ready?"
I nodded. I was so excited. Flying!
"Just jump with as much strength as you can muster focused in your quadriceps and hamstrings, alright?" She said, and leapt into the air, soaring through the room.
"Go!"

I pushed off the ground hard, and it was exhilarating. I was laughing with joy and relief; I was flying! I swooped around the room with surprising ease and then crashed into the middle of the boxing ring. A million hands were thrust out to help me up.
"You okay, kid?" Miss Walters asked.
"Yeah," I sighed, shaking my head to clear it. "This is incredible!"

They all laughed and I felt a pang of guilt. With Grandpa gone, I should have been worried out of my skin, but I was having fun. I felt absolutely terrible.