Scars

Stronger by Kelly Clarkson doesn't wholly fit this chapter but check it out.

Lana laid flat on her bed thinking about what Daniel told her.

"well you don't have to tell me but one gang knows another gang, that place is dangerous, be careful Lana, I won't want you to get hurt"

Dangerous, dangerous her mind screamed out loud "shut up", she shouted closing her ears tightly as she heaved a sigh of relief once there was quietness.

Questions began swimming in her head, did Daniel know what she was doing there? Why did he think there was a gang there? Was he one of them?

"Lana honey, food is ready", she heard her mother shout from downstairs.

Lana sighed in relief though she was quite full from the pizza but anything to get away from being alone she would take it, besides she knew her mother had made her favorite food, lasagna.

She headed downstairs without a rush or a word as she entered the dining room and sat on a chair around the small table.

Her mother brought a plate and dished out the food from a big bowl for her, Lana licked her lips in anticipation as she stared at the meal before her.

Lana took her cutlery about to dig into the sumptuous food before her but dropped the cutlery and sighed knowing she had to wait for both her stepbrother and stepfather to come down to eat.

She was shocked to see that her mother who was sitting opposite to her was already eating without waiting for the rest of the family, her mother's eyes met hers as she gave a light smile.

"Stefan is out, he has an emergency at work and Clayton ate while on his date", her mother said as Lana rolled her eyes, that explained it all, ugh, Clayton was always going out on a date with Jess, it was nice but annoying to be hearing that every time.

For some time they ate in silence afterall they weren't used to having dinner alone, if the whole family were here Lana would sit in silence while the three of them would conversate with each other, she was like the odd one in their little family.

"how was school?" she heard her mother ask as she looked stunned for a moment before she answered.

"fine I guess"

"you guess?"her mother asked looking at her, her mother was terrible at starting a conversation with her but she was trying to have a chat with her like good old times and Lana knew it but she didn't want to talk so she just nodded her head and continued eating.

"would you like to tell me what happened to you when you came home four days ago?" her mother asked as Lana gave out a loud groan.

"the most important thing is that I am fine and not in trouble, right?" she said, Lana knew she was acting rude but she didn't want to have a conversation right now she just wanted to think.

Her mother nodded in agreement as they continued eating in silence.

Lana sighed as she asked a question she had wanted answers to since she was given a scare and beaten up by those rascals four days ago.

"what would you do if you need to find out something that you know can be dangerous?" she asked waiting in silence for her mom.

Her mother did not answer as Lana sighed and slowly took in another spoon of the food before her.

"I wouldn't want to do anything that would endanger me in the first place", her mother finally said, Lana did not talk as she stared at her mom.

Her mother stopped eating as she maintained an eye contact with her daughter who was already through with her meal "sometimes daring the undarables is dangerous leaving us with scars", her mother said as she fixed her eyes on the scar that laid at the right side of Lana's mouth, Lana knew that the word "undarable" did not exist but she nodded about to leave.