Chapter Nine

I smell grease, and melted cheese. I think I even smell bacon. My stomach roars and I sit up quickly, causes me to go lightheaded temporarily.

Alex jumps back a little next to me, startled, "Hey, I thought you were still asleep."

I look down at the bag in front of him and the wrapped burger in his hand. He smiles sweetly at me and hands me the burger.

"There's also fries in the bag, and," he turns to the nightstand, coming back with a tall drink, "I got you a chocolate shake. I thought you could use something sweet after all of this."

I take the shake from him and dig in the bag for the promised fries. Setting the food in front of me I feel a desire to inhale it all, but I just sit there playing with the fries.

"How are you feeling?" Alex gently nudges me with his shoulder, holding a fry that hangs from his lip.

I shrug, "Just... Thinking a lot."

"What about?"

Poking my burger with a fry I try to hide the quivering in my lip, "My mom, she's all I've thought about."

"You can talk to me you know," he puts down his food, "I'm here for you any way I can be. What's going on up in your head?"

I fight the lump in my throat, "I miss her so much. She's all I have, and we were barely getting by with both of us working nonstop. I'm worried about how she's affording food and paying the bills. I thought about what you said that our parents haven't reported us missing and that makes me question if she even noticed. Is she too busy? Does she not care? Is she glad I'm gone? What if this whole time I was just in her way?"

I can't fight the tears any longer, and once they start falling nothing stops them. Suddenly I'm buried into the warmth of his neck and embrace.

"I'm so sorry," he whispers softly, "I never meant to make you question your relationship with your mom. And I can promise she's thinking of nothing but you. She wouldn't take on two jobs on top of her school if she didn't love you and want to give you a good life. I promise I'll find a safe way to let you talk to her soon, and I promise we'll send something to help her get by."

I have no words, I'm crying so hard I couldn't speak if I wanted to. I wrap my shaking arms around him and grasp his shoulders as I cry into his shirt. I desperately try to calm down but lately it seems I can only cry, I finally can release all these emotions I've had to bottle up.

After a long period of crying, I start to run out of tears. Alex never lets go and even begins petting my hair and rocking me. I finally feel like he understands what I'm going through, and that he really is doing all he can in our situation.

I decide to pull back, seeing the wet stain on his shirt. I cringe and apologize, "Hey it's ok. It's one shirt, right?" he smiles tenderly, "Now please eat, I want to make sure you stay healthy. Plus those shakes really are awesome."

I look at my food and feel my appetite return. Digging into the food, my body relaxes with bliss.

"Did you leave your mom a note or anything?" Alex inquires, giving me a sideways glance.

Slowing down with my food, I feel my stomach drop, "Yeah, I did. Did you?"

He nods, "What did you tell her?"

"I told her that I love her and that I'm going to try and come home soon. I promised her I would be in contact and be safe but that she can't look for me. I told her I need to deal with some stuff and then I'll come home and tell her everything."

He bites his tongue and gently nods.

"What did you tell your parents?"

He hesitates. I start to think he won't answer when I start hearing a gently sound come from him. I realize he's trying not to cry.