Chapter Forty-Two

I stare at Alex in shock. What does he think he's doing?

"A new deal? Didn't you learn anything from the first one?"

"You and I in a battle of my choosing, no illusions or magic or whatever. If you win, you get me. I'll do whatever you want and you set her free and erase any memory of this."

"How sweet, sacrificing yourself for her. When did you get a heart?" Alex is unamused and says nothing. I watch the devil think, looking more than intrigued. "And if you win?"

"The original deal is off the table, forgotten. You heal and free Jules. You let us leave, send us home and you can never come after us, our families, or anyone we care about ever again."

The devil is silent as he watches Alex, but he stands his ground and I watch the devil's eyes light up, "Deal. What's your preferred method of battle boy?"

"Swords, French rapiers."

I visibly see the devil get tense. "Interesting choice. So rapiers, I can't use any of my.... Abilities. I win I wipe her memory of these two months, free her, and keep you. You win, I heal her, free you both, send you home free of debt and I can never come for you, you're family, or those you care for ever again. Did I miss anything?"

He shakes his head, "That's it."

The devil glides over to him with his hand out, "Shake on it boy."

As Alex takes his hand I feel a jolt of electricity shoot through me and the room. The gun evaporates and we all just stare at each other.

"It's set. My powers are almost entirely void. If I win, her memory will instantly be erased and she will be sent home. It'll be like it never happened. If you win, everything you asked will be granted instantly. Now are you ready to begin?"

"Can I have a few minutes with her?"

With a bored shrug, the devil leaves us in the large empty room, calling back "Ten minutes... Isn't that right Jules?"

My stomach clenches as he disappears from sight. Alex is quick to get on his knees in front of me. He examines me carefully, I watch his eyes travel to my neck and to the burns that cover me.

"I'm going to kill him," He growls, "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I feel numb and stupid.

He goes stiff, "Which part?"

"Any of it! Anything! You told me I had to go with you because I interfered, is that even true?"

He shakes his head, "He knew what you meant to me, he knew if anything happened to you I just.... I'm sorry."

"Why didn't you tell me you felt that way? Two months of sleeping next to each other and not a word! And you're grandparents, I... I just don't understand."

He examines my neck, I think to do anything but look at me. The blood has dried and I look a mess, I'm sure.

"I didn't know bringing them back would undo everything else from the past eight years, I didn't know where I'd end up because things could have been very different with them still around. I couldn't undo it, I've done some good and I couldn't risk losing that and I... I couldn't risk losing a chance with you."

"You never spoke to me."

He shakes his head, "I didn't think you'd be interested in what I had to say. I figured that I was just the trouble maker to you, but I was determined to say something, probably at graduation."

"That's why you brought up me in the paper, because you kept it too." He nods. "What about when you kissed my neck in Joliet?"

He chuckles, "Yeah, I'm sorry about that. I did panic and tell the desk clerk you were my girlfriend, wishful thinking I guess, and she would not stop watching us. I didn't really know what else to do, and the idiot guy in me said to take it as an opportunity because I was pretty sure there was no way in hell that you'd want me after all this." He sighs as he reaches for the cut on my neck. "I guess I'm right."