Chapter Twenty-Nine

I wake up the next morning, feeling warm and wrapped up. The blanket must have cocooned around me in the night.

After I roll over I understand that I'm not wrapped in a blanket, blankets don't breathe. Blankets don't have arms and hands. Blankets most certainly don't have pecks.

Oh dear god.

I slide away as quickly and carefully as I can, climbing off the bed to look at Alex as he lays there, his arm still draped over my spot. He moves ever so slightly, his hand wrapping around the blanket and pulling it closer, his face digs into the pillow where my head was. He was holding me, I was in bed being held by Alex Monroe!

He stirs again, making me jump. He lays on his back and pushes the blankets off his bare chest. How he's still asleep is a mystery to me, how he let us fall asleep like that is an even bigger mystery. I fell asleep sitting in front of him, not laying in his arms!

I think I'm going to have a heart attack.

Rushing into the bathroom, I close the door and lock it. I need a minute to think, I need to realize that this really happened and that I'm not dreaming.

"This really happened," I tell myself, "I'm not dreaming, this is real and that happened. Oh god... What else happened? "

I try to push away my fear, thinking I would remember if anything else happened. Nothing else happened. Nothing else happened. Right?

I force myself to take a few slow, deep breaths before standing tall and walking out of the bathroom. I avoid the bed, instead going to pull clothes from my bag. I jump at the sound of the bed creaking.

I need to stop being so on edge. It's embarrassing.

"Good morning," I hear Alex drawl out in a husky, groggy voice, "Sleep well?"

"Like the dead," I try to chuckle but I really just feel I'm chocking on air.

I tug lightly at the clothes in my bag. I feel Alex's hands warm my shoulders as he looks down at my bag.

"Don't know what to wear? I think a t-shirt and some shorts would be totally fine, it is sunny Arizona."

"Yeah, sorry," I shrug his hands off, "I guess I'm not all the way awake yet."

He takes a few steps back and nods, "Neither am I. I don't even remember falling asleep, I could go back to sleep now if I tried."

"If you want to... I'm sure I can handle myself for one day," I face him slowly, leaning against the wall awkwardly.

"No way," he waves his hand, "I'm not going to risk letting something happen to you. I'm sure I'll wake up in a bit."

I don't realize I'm biting my lip until I taste my blood. I know he's talking but all I'm thinking about is how I want him to hold me again.

I watch his mouth move, completely unaware of what he's saying. I'm hypnotized watching his muscles move as he crosses his arms.

Alex is by no means Captain America, but he's still fit and his muscles still noticeable. He's tall and thin, so he doesn't look muscular but when he's shirtless and moving you can see his biceps flex and his abs are incredible to look at.

I force myself to stop staring at him and listen to what he says, "So what do you think? It might be fun."

"Uhhhh," well I'm screwed, I turn back to my bag to hide my confused face, "Yeah, why not? Like you said, it could be fun."

I have no idea what I just agreed to. Whatever it is, Alex is all excited as he keeps talking about how he'll set everything up while I draw today. I nod mindlessly. Even though mindless agreement is what got me in this mess. I need to stop zoning out, but I've told myself that at least a hundred times so I doubt I'll listen now.