Chapter Sixteen

Waking up, I'm still diagonal across the bed, bundled up in the blankets. Alex is asleep on the couch against the wall.

I sit up and stare at him. Will today be better? Looking outside the sun is almost completely up, it's a little after seven. I want to go back to sleep.

Quietly I get out of bed and tip toe to Alex, gently shaking him awake.

His eyes open barely, "Hey, you alright? What's up?"

He sits up and faces me, "You should be in the bed, you could sleep a couple more hours and I could be over here on the couch. It was supposed to be me sleeping here last night."

He smiles, "It's ok Jules, it wasn't that bad," he gently pushes me farther away, "Give me a second, I'm waking up. I don't want to risk him getting to me again while I'm still tired."

He and I get up together, he keeps his distance from me. I watch him get some clothes out of his bag and stretch his arms above his head.

"I'm going to shower and then I'm going to go find us something to do while we're here. I love watching you draw but I'm going to go nuts just sitting around doing nothing while we're here."

I chuckle, earning his charming smile before he slides into the bathroom. I sit where he was lying on the couch and wait for him to come back out of the bathroom.

He loves watching me draw?

I don't think he would if he knew what I've been drawing. I don't think he'd ever be able to look at me the same again.

What I would give to go back to freshman year when I had no idea who he was aside from the him I saw at school. What I would give to be able to even turn back the clock and never see him in that alley way by my work.

When the bathroom door opens, I see Alex step out as steam pours out. All I can do is watch, wait to see if he's still himself. Is this what it will be from now on?

"Alex?" I feel myself get tense as he just stands there.

"Yeah," he looks at me confused, "Everything alright?"

I can feel my lips turn up to form a smile, "Yeah, all good. What's the plan for the day?"

He smiles and points at me, "Well first I am going to get breakfast, and then I'm going to find a cheap deck of cards. Tonight we play poker."

"I don't know how to play poker."

He snaps his fingers, getting a strong look of determination, "Tonight you learn!"

He twirls around, marching into the bathroom again. I can't help but laugh at his good mood. I don't know anything about poker though, except it involves money and that my dad used to play it.

When he steps out I'm back to freshman year. I hate how well he dresses and how good he looks. His dark red shirt and black jeans hug him perfectly, the dark jeans make him look even taller. His skin and hair are still damp, making him shine and sparkle. God I hate how I can never ditch this crush.

He grabs his jacket and brushes past me, "I won't be long, I'll find us some food and try to be back within the hour. Are you ok here?"

"I can't go with?"

He looks uncomfortable, "I would rather you stay here, I know how to go unnoticed better than you do. Plus I'm sure the Devil has a lot of people looking for you now that I'm sure Robert has confirmed you're with me and what I'll do to protect you."

I hate that he's probably right, I want to discredit him but how can I? I don't know anything about the Devil or what he would do, Alex has interacted with him and has a better understanding of him and his methods.