Chapter Thirty-Eight

The sun is setting when Alex comes back for me. I've gone through like five more pages of my sketchbook, I can't wait for mom to see this sunset in person someday, but for now taking the drawings home will do.

"Hey, you ready?" Alex startles me with a hand on my shoulder.

I smile up at him, "Yeah, I'm all set."

I start to gather my stuff while he looks at the drawings. "They're incredible."

"Thanks." He takes my bag for me and helps me to my feet.

He stares at me as I brush the sand off my legs. He tries to look away before I notice but I've become very aware of the feeling of him watching me.

"Was it nice, just drawing?" I nod, making him break into a satisfied grin. "Let's go get some dinner and go get some sleep."

I step forward and he wraps his arm around me. His skin is a little red, probably from being in the sun. I can only imagine how burnt I got sitting out here.

"Do you want to set up and sell your drawings tomorrow?"

"Maybe, I definitely wouldn't mind sitting out here all day. It's so different from back home, but in a way I love it."

He's quiet as we walk back to the bus stop. He hands me a little piece of plastic. It says Youth Pass at the top.

"What is it?" I hold it up to him for a moment.

"It's for the bus and public transit here, so we don't have to use cash every time or get a new day pass every day. It's good for two weeks."

"Two? I thought you said a week at most in each place."

His smile looks less like the product of happiness and more of sad amusement, "I saw how your face lit up at the beach, you think I can take that away from you that easily?"

He looks back at the ground leaving me speechless. He does that a lot. Leaves me without words.

"I don't want to risk messing all this up by staying here," I eventually spit out, he looks confused. "I don't want this to be like Missouri, I don't want to put us at risk again."

"What happened there won't happen again, I promise. I'm going to keep you safe, but I'm not going to do it at the expense of your happiness."

This. This is the stuff that makes all those feelings and butterflies rise up. This is the stuff that makes me want to tell him how I feel. What's the worst that can happen? Maybe finally saying it out loud will help me get over it?

"Alex, I-"

That's when the bus pulls up, making its loud hiss as it drops and opens its door.

"Come on, let's get something to eat." He helps me onto the bus and we watch a couple other people climb on and find seats around us.

Maybe that was a sign from the universe. A big, obvious one with neon lights saying "Keep your mouth shut, some things are better left unsaid."

I will take this to my grave. I will get over this if it kills me. Something in me says Alex and I could be great friends, but I don't think that's possible with me reading into every word he says.

I try to just focus on what's around us as we drive through the cute town. We pass shops, a high school, a library, lots of houses, and a park before coming to stop in front of a small gathering of shops and restaurants.

"Chicken?" Alex asks.

I nod as we cross the street to the KFC right across from the bus stop. Alex tells me to sit while he goes and orders food. I watch him as he pulls the charming smile on the guy at the counter, you'd think they'd been best friends. I'll never understand how he does that.